Forward fropouts and coaster brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Hello team,

I have an old late 60's Falcon or Raleigh that I have been using as a single speed backup bike for commutes. I am in two minds as to whether to shift it or treat it to a few things.

One thing I was considering was a 2 speed coaster brake, and the dropout is giving me pause to consider my options. I haven't really thought about the mechanics in this; I was advised that running a forward dropout fixie was risky. Is the same true for coaster brakes?

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Do the nuts up and it will be fine.
Same logic with the fixed gear? Would buying something like a Surly Tuggnut just be a way of hanging £25 off the side?

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The pictured bolts are for rear-facing dropouts. I would expect a coaster brake to be OK in forward-facing because the reaction arm would help keep it in place but I've never tried it.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I like a nice Falcon. Just out of curiosity have you any pics?

Shaun
You helped me last time...

It is a rescue hound. It was a serviceable five speed until I decided to strip it down and grease the bearings. I lost a couple from a cage in the rear hub, and had my first kid come along.... Single speed solution was to get it stopping a bit quicker, and use it as a backup.

It's still an unknown entity.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/1970s-falcon-raleigh-any-ideas.203062/ maybe you can assist

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
AFAIK coaster brakes have a torque arm that fastens to either the NDS stay or a braze on fitting on the NDS stay, they wouldn't affect the wheel laterally but would attempt to 'spin' the hub in the dropouts.

robgul

Legendary Member
If you do find it slips, then you need one that looks like
View attachment 334386

Nope - that will only work with track-ends (i.e. rear-facing dropouts with the threaded bit in the dropout slot)

There are chain-tugs that sit on the outside of forward-facing dropouts and have set-screws that push against the outer end of the dropout - BUT from experience they really aren't very effective. Like this
70383.jpg

With a single speed freewheel and the nuts pulled up tight you should be alright - from experience even with loads of torque on the nuts it's quite easy to pull the wheel to one side with a fixed cog.

Rob

Last edited:
OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Here you go, the exact item forward facing

View attachment 335277

That's a nice system. It does look like the bolt has a hole to pass through.

For what it's worth, I am going to go by your initial suggestions and stick with my single speed and just bolt what I have on well. It works, it is simple... So why change it?

I was toying with the idea of grabbing an s2c Sturmey wheel I had seen on Gumtree, but I was just enjoying spending what little money i have before my second child arrives and poops his way through it.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
Is it very cheap? I ask because the S2C hub has had an awful reliability reputation. The last I saw of @GrumpyGregry's he was carrying his bike because the hub was jammed up inside and wouldn't roll at all.

It was something like £70 for the whole wheel, and had been up on the site for a while. Was considering making a cheeky offer, but if it wasn't missing any parts I would say it was a fair price. If I had to disassemble it and add a part however... I would probably have to carry my bike too...

Top Bottom