Fossy's Back Up after being Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Still rather sore and my back feels like glass. Can't get comfortable, so I'm sleeping on the settee as my wife doesn't cope well with disturbed sleep.
Would you not be better on the bed and Mrs Fossy on the sofa. You being broken and all that? If my OH had shoved me on the sofa, when I had a broken back, there may have been words.

classic33

Leg End Member
Think it was the lady behind me that had slowed at the junction for the car that called the ambulance. All she has said is that she had stopped for the car. It was stop start slow traffic anyway. I'd passed her then hit the car as it turned.

It's amazing how invisible cyclists are ?
Done via a mobile it'll show on her call log. Contract or PAYG, she'll just need to contact her provider for proof.

The like is for the line on how invisible we are.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Would you not be better on the bed and Mrs Fossy on the sofa. You being broken and all that? If my OH had shoved me on the sofa, when I had a broken back, there may have been words.

Not really. My wife has work and I can at least prop myself up. I'm used to the sofa with my other pain issues and to be frank, they are hurting more than my broken back.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Done via a mobile it'll show on her call log. Contract or PAYG, she'll just need to contact her provider for proof.

The like is for the line on how invisible we are.

My wife even save how visible I am. The driver didn't look for a bike. It's pretty clear cut insurance wise, but obviously too much work for this officer to be bothered. As said earlier in the thread, we need to ensure the police records are correct as it's a big cockup.

classic33

Leg End Member
My wife even save how visible I am. The driver didn't look for a bike. It's pretty clear cut insurance wise, but obviously too much work for this officer to be bothered. As said earlier in the thread, we need to ensure the police records are correct as it's a big cockup.
Get a letter off to police hq, their records will show who responded and who the case officer was/should be, even if its no longer on log at any local station.

They'll also have the collision record, if created, on file. Nearly all records in one place.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Belated Happy Birthday and Get Well Soon @fossyant
Best wishes for your recovery

Thanks.

Been moving about a bit more today. Gave the car a 10 minute tick over on the drive whilst I was brewing a coffee. Car is now fine after 6 weeks stood still and the battery topped up with a charger last night.

Righty, how to send £60 amazon vouchers ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did i miss your birthday ?
Oops happy birthday fossy :thumbsup:

As far as cyclists being invisible it seems to have gotten a lot worse atm i dont know if its the dark, the cold or post x mas blues on the part of drivers but the number of near misses i have had in the last week or so is pretty hairy even though im lit up like a ( to quote a work mate ....." you could land a plane ") and clearly indicating and road positiong i nearly bonnet surfed on Sunday and the driver just blanked me and drove off.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Good having you back here @fossyant :wahhey: !

We're all mighty relieved you are still here and the pieces are getting together again :thumbsup:. How much longer before you are 'cast off' ? :giggle:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Six weeks minimum with the brace. I only wear it moving about and as you can see I'm up at 1.30. Went to bed about 9.30 but I was getting real bad shoulder and arm pain (in what was my good shoulder) which is from the accident. Lying down still feels like I'm getting crushed.

I'm avoiding pain killers as I need to give my body a break. The morphine caused all my skin to peal off my feet and hands, horrible.

On the settee to sleep again. Not back to consultant for six weeks.

Really feel like I've been through the mangle and I've got too many responsibilities to go through this crap again next time. Unfortunately there is always a next time with riding into Manchester. We don't have the critical mass that London does and no-one likes cyclists up here.

I can't be off work again through accidents. I already have enough time off with my other issue. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about my job.

The accident has really shook up the family and my wife shouted at me that she doesn't want 'that bike' back here. That's three knock offs in 14 months all since moving to Manchester.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Six weeks minimum with the brace. I only wear it moving about and as you can see I'm up at 1.30. Went to bed about 9.30 but I was getting real bad shoulder and arm pain (in what was my good shoulder) which is from the accident. Lying down still feels like I'm getting crushed.

I'm avoiding pain killers as I need to give my body a break. The morphine caused all my skin to peal off my feet and hands, horrible.

On the settee to sleep again. Not back to consultant for six weeks.

Really feel like I've been through the mangle and I've got too many responsibilities to go through this crap again next time. Unfortunately there is always a next time with riding into Manchester. We don't have the critical mass that London does and no-one likes cyclists up here.

I can't be off work again through accidents. I already have enough time off with my other issue. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about my job.

The accident has really shook up the family and my wife shouted at me that she doesn't want 'that bike' back here. That's three knock offs in 14 months all since moving to Manchester.
I had the skin coming off thing after morphine, upside was it got rid of all the hard skin on my feet without going to a Chiropodist.

I can't say as I blame your wife for going a bit ballistic though, she must have been worried sick.

As for the sleeping in a chair/on the settee, I've always done that when I've had a broken collarbone (5 times) or an injured back/neck. However you can get comfortable works for me. :hugs:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

This is it, what ever is comfy, the bed is too flat, and whilst I was on bed rest at hospital I was heavily drugged up but towards the end of my stay, I tilted the bed. But you get fidgety if you can't sleep and this really annoys my wife.
I'm supposed to sleep only on my back and I generally never do this, I prefer to sleep on my side.

I've spent time sat bolt upright before now with broken ribs as lying down is too painful.

Even if we bought a spare mattress for a spare bed we could put up in the lounge, it would still be too flat. I'm currently at 30 degrees.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is it, what ever is comfy, the bed is too flat, and whilst I was on bed rest at hospital I was heavily drugged up but towards the end of my stay, I tilted the bed. But you get fidgety if you can't sleep and this really annoys my wife.
I'm supposed to sleep only on my back and I generally never do this, I prefer to sleep on my side.

I've spent time sat bolt upright before now with broken ribs as lying down is too painful.

Even if we bought a spare mattress for a spare bed we could put up in the lounge, it would still be too flat. I'm currently at 30 degrees.
I used to prop myself up with cushions on the settee so it was difficult to move inadvertently whilst I was dozing but my most serious back/shoulder injury was only a collarbone and 4/5 ribs, can't imagine the pain you've been in with a broken back.
When I broke my femur the pain was bad but I quickly found out that if I stayed still it was manageable, unfortunately they wouldn't let me do that (quite rightly) but most of the time I was screaming (internally) just f*%k off and leave me be.

classic33

Leg End Member
You don't know there will be a next time if you carry on cycling, so stop thinking like that.

I cycled to and from work, along roads(A roads, where traffic can be nose to tail) that some on here have said they'd never go on. But I got hit, on a quiet section of road, almost home for the second time that day.

Besides, 2am ain't that late!

Top Bottom