Found abandoned bike that looks stolen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stopped today to check an apparently abandoned bike that I have been passing for the last week.

Looking more closely, it just looks too good to have been abandoned by its legitimate owner. An old hard tail but slicked up, a quality bike with quality bits, e.g. RockShox Judy forks, Deore XT mech. Some modifications suggest money spent on it in recent years.

I have Googled make and model + "stolen" but no relevant hits. Various databases tried, no luck. Any suggestions as to how I can find the owner?

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tell the local police that you have found it and will be taking it to them (so you can't be accused of stealing it yourself!). If nobody claims it after a certain period of time then you should be able to claim it for yourself. @Globalti did that with a Specialized road bike that he'd found abandoned.

OP
OP
E
Thanks all for some reason I assumed police wouldn't be that interested but will take it there.
I would try a UV light if I had one...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I used to live in a farm cottage miles from anywhere just off the A85 dual acarriageway near Errol between Dundee and Perth.
At night you couldn't't see a hand in front of your face it was so completely dark.

Early one Sunday morning I found an old bike propped up next to the back door, covered in mud, but otherwise was OK.

Later in the week a man in a pickup called at the front door asking if we'd seen a bike anywhere?

I asked him what it looked like and he described it exactly so handed it over.

He then admitted somewhat shame-faced that he'd tried riding home from the pub and fallen off so many times it was safer to walk [stagger]... never saw him again.

Chris S

Legendary Member
He then admitted somewhat shame-faced that he'd tried riding home from the pub and fallen off so many times it was safer to walk [stagger]... never saw him again.
I find it easier to cycle than to walk when I'm under the influence of alcohol. Bicycles have a self-righting property whereas feet tend to stumble.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I used to live in a farm cottage miles from anywhere just off the A85 dual acarriageway near Errol between Dundee and Perth.
At night you couldn't't see a hand in front of your face it was so completely dark.

Early one Sunday morning I found an old bike propped up next to the back door, covered in mud, but otherwise was OK.

Later in the week a man in a pickup called at the front door asking if we'd seen a bike anywhere?

I asked him what it looked like and he described it exactly so handed it over.

I used to have a summer job working on the salmon nets near St Madoes, accommodation provided in a bothy. We'd sometimes go up to the Glencarse Inn, which was about a mile and a half from the bothy, for a few pints. One of the crew would sometimes take his Suzuki 250. On the way back it was usually four up. Rider, pillion, one sitting on the tank, one on the rear rack. It would most definitely have been safer to walk.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I used to have a summer job working on the salmon nets near St Madoes, accommodation provided in a bothy. We'd sometimes go up to the Glencarse Inn, which was about a mile and a half from the bothy, for a few pints. One of the crew would sometimes take his Suzuki 250. On the way back it was usually four up. Rider, pillion, one sitting on the tank, one on the rear rack. It would most definitely have been safer to walk.
Reminds me of a regular job I I used to do in my taxi many years ago. Early hours on a Sunday morning I would be called to a pub somewhere 'up country' to pick up three or sometimes four local lads to bring them back to town.. Next morning I would take one or two of them back to the same spot to collect the motor bike they had all been riding from village pub to village Pub the previous night. The said bike was usually found abandoned in a hedge-back somewhere. This went on for some time until eventually they met up with PC Plod and they learned the error of their ways.

Top Bottom