Found at my local council yard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I was at my local council yard when I saw a guy about to throw this away

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoVUAMkpUAsVtgHk2Fge-Q5V9XLK

I have done absolutely nothing to it yet but after a quick look around I think that all it needs is tyres & tubes, a quick service and it could be usable. the only fault that I have found so far is the seat post is very tight, but definitely not seized up. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary as to whether to sell it or use it. I am on the wrong side of seventy and finding the hills around here a bit too much for me now so I might pass it on to someone who can give it a little tlc.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was at my local council yard when I saw a guy about to throw this away

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoVUAMkpUAsVtgHk2Fge-Q5V9XLK

I have done absolutely nothing to it yet but after a quick look around I think that all it needs is tyres & tubes, a quick service and it could be usable. the only fault that I have found so far is the seat post is very tight, but definitely not seized up. This leaves me in a bit of a quandary as to whether to sell it or use it. I am on the wrong side of seventy and finding the hills around here a bit too much for me now so I might pass it on to someone who can give it a little tlc.
Oh my...that's a great find!!!!
Not much TLC and she's a runner!
Thanks for rescuing!

There's a dump very close to my workplace and on the occasions I use the place, I've tried to 'rescue' some neglected bikes, but once they've gone from ex owner to the relevant pen, there's no way the operators are going to let you get your hands on it.

I asked one if they keep them for themselves, and he just laughed and said that's it's just rubbish, the same as the rest of the stuff. Sad. :sad:

Nice bike, BTW, taximan. Have you got a friend or relative who might like a retro bike?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
There is a big difference after the owner has released it to the council - no chance.
If you can intercept you have a chance.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice find.

Any bikes taken to my local tip go to Streetbikes, who recycle and donate them: http://www.streetbikes.org.uk/

Some of the better ones Streetbikes put on eBay to fund their activities.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
There's a dump very close to my workplace and on the occasions I use the place, I've tried to 'rescue' some neglected bikes, but once they've gone from ex owner to the relevant pen, there's no way the operators are going to let you get your hands on it.

I asked one if they keep them for themselves, and he just laughed and said that's it's just rubbish, the same as the rest of the stuff. Sad. :sad:

Nice bike, BTW, taximan. Have you got a friend or relative who might like a retro bike?

I was lucky really, The guy was just taking it out of his car when I spotted him and he seemed quite pleased that his old bike was to have a new lease of life. None of my mates are into retro bikes and think I am a bit strange because I prefer riding my 1972 Hugh Porter to anything more modern.

Last edited:
It takes a real Philistine to throw away a lovely bike like that. I'm so glad that you rescued it.

Cycling 'Philistines' come in all shapes and sizes and are usually armed with or have the means to beg,borrow or even steal the money to lavish their ignorance on.
They often have absolutely no appreciation of anything other than the very latest bit of cycling bling or kit or a Carbon Frame that they would do better than if they lost some of the excessive lard that they struggle to haul along with.

Top Bottom