Found at my local council yard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Why black? :unsure:
Don't worry - it's a bit of a lame forum in-joke about the fads in cycling bling. I actually own a matt black bike with Di2, but only ironically.

Your find is a lovely thing BTW - I can't believe someone would take that to the tip.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not a Carlton fan, but even I can see the value of that bike both as a piece of cycling history, and as a vehicle with the potential to still provide decades of transport.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So sad that someone looked at that in the back of their garage and thought 'No one could possibly have any use for that pile of junk, I'll take it to the tip'
It takes a real Philistine to throw away a lovely bike like that.
The guy was just taking it out of his car when I spotted him and he seemed quite pleased that his old bike was to have a new lease of life.
We are lucky at our local 'recycling centre'. The staff salvage anything they think is saleable and there is a specific area for selling it, a price/value aware lady who runs it - and tells you how much (normally £15 for a bike), and a proper till etc.
I think the first two quotes are a tad unkind. Quite possible the guy had ridden it in the past and wanted room (N + 1?) or was moving, and didn't want the trouble of advertising/selling it, and didn't know anyone who might want it, as a gift. What would you (@helston90 or @rrarider ) suggest that a person should do? With our local system the eponymous centre is a good place to achieve 'recycling'.

You can just tell it is a very sad, human story attached to it.

At least it has found a new home.

Fantastic find. 531c too, that's the competition tubing. Top vintage bike.
To be honest though, 531C was pretty bog standard. Still a nice bike but I wouldn't describe it as top vintage. In the day the top would have been stuff like custom built 531SL or Pro, or Columbus SL or SLX. Or 753 but there's probably not many of them still in one piece.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I would have no interest in rescuing that bike, even though my cycling history goes back over 46.
And nor would I but I would know that someone out there definitely would and put it up on Gumtree/ Facebook Marketplace/ similar!

100920141537.jpg
100920141540.jpg
100920141533.jpg
DSCF4005.JPG
I would have no interest in rescuing that bike, even though my cycling history goes back over 46.

Each to their own but there again with 57 years under my arse I would have been nuts to have let the Benotto Modelo 850 Paris-Roubaix end up in the bean-can factory.
I rescued it and turned it around from a very sadly neglected and seriously bodged hack bike to the lovingly - albeit not the kids pocket money refurbished example that is shown in the before and after images.

Last edited:
Top Bottom