Found things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Read the small print..
IMG_20230711_113518.jpg

An old print, belonged to my wife's grandad. He used to tell my wife that the young boy was himself. My wife believed it for ages (when she was little).

After some heavy weekends on the ale, I've responded to a few submissions in lost and found, saying 'Found, Saturday night' but they've never turned out to be one of those I've lost.

Mazz

There used to be a vibrator zip-tied to the branch of a tree by the dual-carriageway on my commute. Been taken off now, not sure if it was the council or someone took it for personal use. True story.

presta

Guru
Things I've found whilst cycling:
A trucker's grade bungee cord (now in the garage)
A set of drills & screwdriver bits (now in the toolbox)
A Smart rear light (which spent years on the bike after I made a mounting bracket for it)
A wallet (which went to the police)
An A4 filing case (which I was intending to keep until I found medical records in it)

Things I've found whilst fellwalking:
A flat cap (which I occasionally use as a sun hat)
A sit mat (which I cut up to cushion the saddle on my old bike and bars on my new bike)

If anyone found a pair of stuffsacs on the A164 between Beverley and Driffield in 2008, they're mine.

old jazz mags
Kenny Ball?
During West Highland yachting week which is based here for 3 days every year I noticed the earth had been disturbed in a wooded area near the harbour. Could have been a body of course but I poked around and something appeared metallic underground.
Dug down a bit and found a nice newish looking outboard motor wrapped in a bin liner.
I had a neighbour who used to buy old cars, pull them to bits, then bury the parts in the garden. After he moved out, the new neighbour leaned over the fence one day and said "I keep finding engines in the garden". :laugh:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Years ago, a huge roll of green sandpaper, still using it.
When I was a kid a tobacco tin with £7.50 in it and a lighter.
I when I was a teenager a carrier bag crammed with gentleman’s special interest magazines, which kept me entertained for a while until I found out my mother was reading them, so a chucked them.

rydabent

Veteran
I found a back pack with a laptop computer in it belonging to a professor at the local university. Both he and his wife said they were going to give me a reward, but they never did.

I also found a wallet with over $2000 in it, that guy gave me a $50 bill.

Gillstay

Über Member
Found a ladies leather wallet. Found how to get in touch with her via a Co-op card and nice member of staff.

Got in touch and then cycle delivered it too her home, as it was `Sentimentally important'. Told her there were cards and change in it still.

She took it, checked to see if there was any folding money.

I had put in all the change I had found scattered down the road in, but found no notes.

Then she almost shut the door in my face with out a thank you. I did not expect a reward, but was seriously annoyed when I left.

Alex321

Veteran
I found a working smartphone lying at the side of the road on a ride last year. It was unlocked, so I went through the contacts and phoned the one which was listed as Home.

The woman who answered thought it was him, and when I said no I'd just found the phone, said he was out looking for it and described the vehicle he was in - which turned up a few minutes later, and I gave him back his phone.

He said he'd put it down on the bonnet and forgotten it was there as he drove off.

Alex321

Veteran
Found a ladies leather wallet. Found how to get in touch with her via a Co-op card and nice member of staff.

Got in touch and then cycle delivered it too her home, as it was `Sentimentally important'. Told her there were cards and change in it still.

She took it, checked to see if there was any folding money.

I had put in all the change I had found scattered down the road in, but found no notes.

Then she almost shut the door in my face with out a thank you. I did not expect a reward, but was seriously annoyed when I left.

I had somebody return my lost wallet a year or two back.

I'd dropped it in Tesco car park, didn't realise until I got home (about 5-6 miles away). Phoned Tesco, and nobody had handed one in, was just about to go back to have a look when a car full rather chavvy looking people turn up at my door, with my wallet - it had my driving licence in it with my address.

I gave them a fiver from it (the only folding money in it at the time, it was the cards which would have been a problem if I hadn't got it back).

presta

Guru
I also found a wallet with over $2000 in it, that guy gave me a $50 bill.
The wallet I found had a credit card but no cash, so I wondered if I might get accused of nicking cash when I handed it in at the cop shop. It was in the gutter, so I wondered if it had been chucked out of a car window by thieves who just wanted the cash.

I found a working smartphone lying at the side of the road on a ride last year. It was unlocked, so I went through the contacts and phoned the one which was listed as Home.

The woman who answered thought it was him, and when I said no I'd just found the phone, said he was out looking for it and described the vehicle he was in - which turned up a few minutes later, and I gave him back his phone.

He said he'd put it down on the bonnet and forgotten it was there as he drove off.
I lost my dumbphone when it fell out of my pocket as I fell over whilst walking out in the country. When I noticed back at home I rang the number, mainly to see if it was still working, or the rain had got into it. The following morning someone rang back and said they'd picked it up whilst out walking the dog.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I found a biro in a fetching transparent orange on the commute recently - confirmed working when I got to the office.

Didn't hand it in at the cop shop - don't judge me; these are desperate times!

Top Bottom