Found this old Peugeot in my barn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@shhh967 I think you will have to change the rear wheel as not sure those helimatic hubs can be fitted with a single gear

Gunk

Guru
There was a thing in the late 70s/early 80s for 25” frames like that. The top tubes are not especially long. You rode them with very little seat post showing. No idea why....

Very true, my 60cms Peugeot is rideable, considering I usually ride a 51cms road bike (I’m 5’8”) back then the style was not for a huge seat tube to be on show, in fact the original seat tubes are cut quite short.

5D2F9EDC-CB46-4C73-8075-2DD83FB3B053.jpeg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Very true, my 60cms Peugeot is rideable, considering I usually ride a 51cms road bike (I’m 5’8”) back then the style was not for a huge seat tube to be on show, in fact the original seat tubes are cut quite short.

View attachment 519782
:-). There are a lot of bikes like the Raleigh Record Sprint (black and gold) and Dawes too of that era in humongous frame sizes....and many still around. At 5’9” I could still ride them OK.

:welcome:
I would give that a good wash off and treat the rusty areas with some acid , lemon juice , oxalic acid or vinegar to remove the worst bits and then polish it up . The aluminium bits and chrome forks will come up like new with a good metal polish like Maguire's metal polish .
I would leave the rest as it is apart from fitting a new chain which would be the easiest option .

Ah, the old Heavy Lead Extrusion frame.

Actually, they're weren't bad at all. Much livelier feeling than the Raleigh 18-23 jobs.

TBH, once lock down is over, i may upgrade this with a decent set of wheels and new running gear, I think it would be a good Audax machine, if i ever get my arse in gear to take part in one

Top Bottom