Four blowouts and a lesson learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blowout. Fixed it.

Pumped up, got on, BANG!

Fixed it again. Pumped up, got on, BANG!

Fixed it again. Pumped up, got on, BANG!

Got a lift home. Changed the tube. Pumped up, got on, BANG! Thought 'hang on...I reckon that's gone in the same place as the last time'. Inspected wheel, inspected tyre, found slit in tyre, presumably caused by the very first blowout, and pretty much certainly the cause of all the subsequent bangs.

Moral of the story? If you get a BANG!, check your tyre carefully for sidewall damage before proceeding.

Here endeth the lesson.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thank you for passing on your learning.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd say the slit caused the first blowout too, assuming my understanding of "blowout" is correct - a loud detonation followed by a sudden deflation. Check that the brake blocks aren't snagging on the tyre, as this is a common cause of blowout inducing slits.
I think you're right. It was the first run with new wheels and I hadn't checked the brake block positions. And they were indeed rubbing on the tyre. Thanks for that, or I probably would have wrecked the replacement tyre too.

PS Another lesson!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is an easy, temporary fix for this. You can use almost anything to make a patch for the inside of the tyre to stop the tube popping through the slit. I have heard of leaves being used. A TCR rider used a bank note. I have opened an empty toothpaste tube and carry it in my repair kit.

But you have to diagnose the problem first. ^_^

Top Bottom