Four hours in Portsmouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My wife's cousin is the curator at the D-day museum, which is just reopening after a major change-around. He's a cyclist, so if they object to you leaving your bike there, tell 'em Andrew says that you can.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cycle to Southampton and get your train from there. It's much nicer.
Oh no it isn't. There's lots of lovely things in Southampton. Like Pompey. There are lots of lovely areas on the outskirts of Southampton. Like Pompey. The city itself, just like my home town, is an advert for the two disasters to hit 20th century British urban areas- the Luftwaffe and council planners.
+1 for the D-Day Story, which I will check out myself at some point. The City Museum is free & might have something of interest. Cafe recommendation: Spinnaker Cafe on Broad Street in Old Portsmouth (the very nicest bit of the city).

Last edited:
OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Well I've now had - or am having - my afternoon in Portsmouth, which due to a late ferry and faffing has ended up closer to 2 than 4 usable hours. I had a quick foray into the centre, which could be anywhere, then tried to follow the seafront round as closely as possible. I've been past the Hard, Point, and am now sitting by Southsea beach at the Coffee Cup. It's been an interesting way to while away some time, so thanks again all for the ideas.
IMG_20180410_170939.jpg

With that I'm off, I have a train to catch

Elysian_Roads

I saw this thread and immediately thought of Murray Head's "One night in Bangkok"

I've not been to Portsmouth but I suspect they're not dissimilar
Very funny, then I went to look at the lyrics, to find Hastings is actually name checked in them. So is Hastings similar to Bangkok?????

Crankarm

Guru
Some years ago didn't a German cycle tourist arrive in Portsmouth having cycled around the world for something like 8 years, ne'er a problem, but shortly after his arrival in Portsmouth his bicycle was stolen with all his gear on it?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some years ago didn't a German cycle tourist arrive in Portsmouth having cycled around the world for something like 8 years, ne'er a problem, but shortly after his arrival in Portsmouth his bicycle was stolen with all his gear on it?
Four hours in Portsmouth makes a hard man humble.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Why is it a bit crap? I quite like pearl izumi stuff.
The odd bits of PI stuff I've had haven't lasted that well. The zips in particular (and I'm all over zips) have been a bit fragile.

Gunwharf Quays is upmarket outlet and in theory the shops, including the PI shop, sell last season's gear at a discount. Even so, the prices for the PI clothing and accessories (gloves, socks etc) still seem high for the quality. I'm not dismissing the place - the choice and prices for their Shimano shoes are competitive and you can try them on. They usually have a great selection of women's cycle clothing (nearly always better than the men's!) which is rarely the case elsewhere. Also, the staff are nice, helpful and not up themselves.

Top Bottom