Four hours in Portsmouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Just suppose you were getting off a ferry in Portsmouth at 2:15pm one weekday, and suppose furthermore that you were going to catch a train to London around 6. And that you had a heavy touring bike that you were happy to ride round town on but didn't want to leave where the local ne'er-do-wells might get their hands on it.

What you do with your four hours? Are there must-see or nice-to-see things? Any cafés with views, or even pubs, that would come recommended?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
HMS Warrior - although you will have to put a wiggle on to get round in four hours. An awesome ship. When built it was considered a match for any rival navy

Edit: I should add I live 2.5 hours from Portsmouth and I've twice made a special trip to see it. I shall go again. If you've all day to spare you can do the victory and / Mary Rose too

Last edited:

Elysian_Roads

HMS Warrior - although you will have to put a wiggle on to get round in four hours. An awesome ship. When built it was considered a match for any rival navy
Was going to suggest the naval museum as well, if boats float your boat, as you would be right there from the ferry, and also right by the station, IIRC, or the Spinnaker Tower is close by too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I summon @StuAff!, who I once nearly ran over while driving past HMS Nelson.

Portsmouth isn’t without its issues, but it’s a unique and diverse city that’s worth the effort. It can get exciting at night or when Pompey are at home but otherwise it’s no worse than any other city.

The obvious choice would be the naval museum, but I think the D-day museum in Southsea has recently been refurbished and might be worth a look. There’s also the old skool seaside charms of Clarence Pier, the improved South Pier and
BenAinslieoplis in Old Portsmouth. You could go full retail and mooch around Gunwharf Quay. There’s a Pearl Izumi shop that’s a bit crap unless you’re specifically after Shimano cycling shoes.

Failing all that, get the train to Winchester and do the Cathedral, have a wander or sit in a cafe.

snorri

Legendary Member
I would get an earlier train!
I would have booked two nights there!

Bodhbh

Guru
+1 on cycling along Southsea front and going to the pub. Suppose you could catch the ferry across to Hayling Island and have a mootch about. From memory there's some traffic free cycle paths, can't remember much else about it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would have a ride to Port Solent.

No tourist attractions as such, but they all involve leaving the bike which you don't want to do.

Plenty of cafe/people watching opportunities on the boardwalks around the marina.

It's posh - for Pompey - so the scrote count should be fairly low.

Your bike should be OK locked for a short time if you wanted to nip into a shop.

https://www.portsolent.com/

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
ZGtUymX.png

Top Bottom