Foyles War

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
We are watching Foyle's War on Netflix. My wife, who is Quebecois can't understand a word Sam says. I find the accent really jarring but I can't explain it. Is this the natural accent of the actor or affected for the part?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
We are watching Foyle's War on Netflix. My wife, who is Quebecois can't understand a word Sam says. I find the accent really jarring but I can't explain it. Is this the natural accent of the actor or affected for the part?

I have no idea but Honeysuckle Weeks is wonderful and so is the character Sam that she plays

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Don't know if she speaks like that in real life, but in the context of the story she's a well to do Vicar's daughter & it's a pretty standard stab at an upper middle class British accent much favoured by films of the period for the RAF Pilots and commissioned army officer types. As opposed to the 'lor luv a duck' ** chirpy cockney aircrew or conscripted private types. ** or North East Geordie or rural yokel stereotypes too.

if you want to practice with more of the same, try Call The Midwife - semi autobiographical Nurse/Midwife team set in the very impoverished east end of London. The Nurses are all quite plummy voiced (as Sam) while the residents that they're treating are very much of the common clay.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I love the series. I think Honeysuckle Weeks is great as well.......I usually have to have the subtitles on for American films as I can't make out what's being said.

Is that just the accents? I don't generally have a problem but do find the music/voice balance can mean that I have to have it uncomfortably loud to hear the dialogue.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I love the series. I think Honeysuckle Weeks is great as well.......

Indeed - alas it is no more :angry:

"On 12 January 2015, ITV announced that no more episodes will be commissioned due to the high costs of production and its intention to air original drama commissions."

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Indeed - alas it is no more :angry:

"On 12 January 2015, ITV announced that no more episodes will be commissioned due to the high costs of production and its intention to air original drama commissions."

I thought I heard on the radio that it was because the writer said he'd run out of ideas.

Tim Hall

I have no idea but Honeysuckle Weeks is wonderful and so is the character Sam that she plays

Wot MacB says. Anyone who says other wise is a cad. And probably a bounder as well.

"I say sir. I think I've been a bit of a clot"

(I don't think she ever said that, but she should).

OP
OP
ayceejay

ayceejay

Guru
For those who answered my question - thank you for those who read something else into it like:
because my wife doesn't understand her accent Honeysuckle Weeks is a trout
Because my wife, a Quebecois doesn't understand an accent more upper class than the Queen I am free to have a pop at her

not so much

Top Bottom