FPN for carrying child on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you failing to spot the "Some of its seats were designed to fit to the crossbar and that instructions were provided." Also European Safety Standard EN14344 covers three seat types only one of which is designed to fit in the top tube. I ask again "Why the Gaffer tape?"

No shoot Sherlock!!! They also sell seats that mount behind the saddle so of course only some of their seats are designed to fit on the crossbar. And of course EN14344 covers other types of child seat too. The fact is they do sell them and they are covered by the standard. But it seems that people here are not able to see beyond the gaffer tape despite all the press articles on it saying the seat was bolted and taped to the top tube.

Looking at the Leco seat I might well add something extra to fix it in place. You have either the choice of doing it up really tight and risk denting the thin top tube or leaving it a bit looser and risk the seat moving and scratching the top tube and paint. Which of us hasn't used the occasional bit of tape, inner tube or zip tie to supplement the manufacturer's fittings?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No shoot Sherlock!!! They also sell seats that mount behind the saddle so of course only some of their seats are designed to fit on the crossbar. And of course EN14344 covers other types of child seat too. The fact is they do sell them and they are covered by the standard. But it seems that people here are not able to see beyond the gaffer tape despite all the press articles on it saying the seat was bolted and taped to the top tube.

Looking at the Leco seat I might well add something extra to fix it in place. You have either the choice of doing it up really tight and risk denting the thin top tube or leaving it a bit looser and risk the seat moving and scratching the top tube and paint. Which of us hasn't used the occasional bit of tape, inner tube or zip tie to supplement the manufacturer's fittings?

Thus there is no confirmation that the seat sold was designed for that purpose.

As for using tape and inner tube - Yes for lights but I would never use either to secure a seat, especially one for a child's use!!!!

OP
OP
U

User169

Saw these for sale in the bike shop last night...:whistle:

dsc06038.jpg

Whilst the guy may or may not have been breaking any laws, surely the question he should have asked is not "is it legal?" but "is it safe?" because if he skidded/went over a bump/pothole, the child would be on the floor.

It is safe (otherwise it would be excluded from EN14344) and is widely used as a way of carrying children in Europe. Its more pleasant for the child and parent than having the child sat on their own out of sight looking at parent's back. And they don't come off on bumps and potholes because with the parent on the bike their arms go down either side of the child and the child leans back against the parents body so they are cocooned and secure with their head next to the parents so its easy to chat and look together. If you've not tried it I highly recommend it over the rear child seats except you might get arrested by a numpty bobby.

Thus there is no confirmation that the seat sold was designed for that purpose.

Or that it wasn't. You point was?

Of course if they weren't in the European standard, Halfords did not sell them and the police had said it wasn't an approved seat, just a saddle taped to the top tube then you might have a case.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Or that it wasn't. You point was?

Of course if they weren't in the European standard, Halfords did not sell them and the police had said it wasn't an approved seat, just a saddle taped to the top tube then you might have a case.

You interpret the given data one way, me another. If Halfords had said the saddle sold was one designed specifically for its' used purpose then I would question the FPN. It seems as though they were being vague in their response to distance themselves from the issue. I ask again. If the saddel had to be held in place with Gaffer tape was it fit for purpose?

One of our Police Officers has explained how exasperating the Police Press dept can be.

As for using tape and inner tube - Yes for lights but I would never use either to secure a seat, especially one for a child's use!!!!

What, you wouldn't wrap some old inner tube around the frame to protect it and the paint before bolting one on?

The trouble these days is everyone sees death and destruction under every stone. So children can't ride baccies or any of the other ways that have been nostalgically recounted here, their parents are accosted for irresponsibility or their children banned from training or events if they ride without helmets and they are threatened with being taken into care if they ride to school. Is it any wonder that so few people cycle in the UK whereas children grow up in a culture of cycling in places where these things are all allowed and considered normal? Over here, the couple at the end of this Dutch video would be arrested rather than used to promote the benefits and pleasures of cycling.

Meanwhile I see today reports of big increases in children and teenagers having strokes due to unhealthy lifestyles, obesity being one of the major causes.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What, you wouldn't wrap some old inner tube around the frame to protect it and the paint before bolting one on?

The trouble these days is everyone sees death and destruction under every stone. So children can't ride baccies or any of the other ways that have been nostalgically recounted here, their parents are accosted for irresponsibility or their children banned from training or events if they ride without helmets and they are threatened with being taken into care if they ride to school. Is it any wonder that so few people cycle in the UK whereas children grow up in a culture of cycling in places where these things are all allowed and considered normal? Over here, the couple at the end of this Dutch video would be arrested rather than used to promote the benefits and pleasures of cycling.

Meanwhile I see today reports of big increases in children and teenagers having strokes due to unhealthy lifestyles, obesity being one of the major causes.

I would have used inner tube to safe the paint. Looking at the photo that is not what was done. Be realistic about this the guy was a prick and paid the price. If he had accepted the FPN he would be far less out of pocket.

Ian 74

Are you not reading just a tiny weeny bit into it? They should change the cycle chat blurb to "Cycle Chat the friendly place to whip a dead horse"

thumbsup.png

If the saddel had to be held in place with Gaffer tape was it fit for purpose?

Even if its bolted on under all that gaffer tape and the tape is just a bit of belt and braces? In any case there are no standards set in law for the adaptation of a bicycle to carry a passenger so the FPN is highly suspect anyway. To issue a ticket otherwise then takes us back into the era of people being arrested because the police didn't like the look of 'em.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Even if its bolted on under all that gaffer tape and the tape is just a bit of belt and braces? In any case there are no standards set in law for the adaptation of a bicycle to carry a passenger so the FPN is highly suspect anyway. To issue a ticket otherwise then takes us back into the era of people being arrested because the police didn't like the look of 'em.

You seem to have an issue with the Police. It went to court (outside the control of the police) and he was found / pleaded guilty. This is how the judicial system works. He has the right of appeal.

Top Bottom