fractured scapula - etc, recoverey time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got wiped out by a car on Sunday, over 4 hours in A & E, multiple x rays, lacerated left knee, very limited right arm movement, told it was soft tissue damage. Wednesday was called by hospital to go back in as x ray now reviewed and shows fractured scapula, so now in collar and cuff sling ad hobbling about.

No idea of how long it takes to heal, anyone had similar?

Slightly different but in the same area. Clipped a parked car when blinded by low sun on 31st August. Fractured shoulder but not scapula itself but ball joint at the top of the humerus which went in three places and a gash on just above my left knee where I caught the rear light leading to nine stitches. Like you am in cuff and collar. Docs seem to be saying pain gone after about four weeks and then physio. Was allowed to take arm out of sling after two weeks for short periods and encouraged to make limited movements particularly to reduce swelling in lower arm. Bruising almost disappeared also. They said it takes eight weeks for the break to be fully healed i.e. as strong as it was before. Have noticed big improvements in last week but very little strength in right arm. Got on turbo last Monday and have done 4 on-armed sessions this week. Tough on the backside and wearing on right side, but better than nothing. As far as being back on the road is concerned I've had estimates of as few as six to as many as twelve weeks from docs. One said I'd probably be able to ride before I can drive. Luckily A&E at Royal Berks diagnosed problem there and then. Must have been a bloody painful few days before you got your diagnosis. Best of luck in your recovery.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thanks, I hope its similar for mine then, although I dont know if scapulas heal faster, have fracture clinic review Wednesday. Managing to get comfortable to sleep is difficult, my knee seems almost as painful as the shoulder, still swolllen to about 2 x size of the other one! Stiff as helll when I get up, and everywhere seems to ache!

Luckily I recently became a British Cycling member, their solicitors are helping me claim against the car driver who decided he wanted to be where I was. If you're not a member I strongly recommend joining.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh heck. Do watch soft tissue injuries, especially the shoulder - I was knocked off and though't I'd got away lightly. Lets say 3.5 years of pain later, and an operation, it's almost 100% now.

How's the bike ! :tongue:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am about 5 years into a fractured scapular injury, got away without an op though. Its fine now (mostly) but I still get shoulder ache from time to time especially in the cold weather. The bruising was spectacular though, very pretty once it had settled down.
You need to let this injury heal properly, in my experience its a slower job than say a wrist or an ankle.

I hope that you are feeling better. So glad that someone is chasing the motorist for you.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Thanks for the replies, best learn some patience by the sounds of it. Bikes a write off, fork blade cracked off, saddle rail busted, front wheels a pringle, but thats not important.
The bloody motorist gout out of his car and uttered the usual "sorry mate I didn't see you" so I really do hope the solicitor manages to sue his backside off!
However the most important thing is to get better first, and that looks like a long process.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Get a turbo trainer, great idea. I guess I can get on it as soon as my knee allows, stitches out swelling down etc. Replacement bike should be here soon as well, not sure how easy it will be to set up one handed though, but thats doable.
Any recommendations? I've just had a look at wiggle and I am thinking of either the Tacx Sirius, Tacx Satori, CycleOps classic mag plus, or the Elite crono fluid, any suggestions as to the best one?

Thanks, I hope its similar for mine then, although I dont know if scapulas heal faster, have fracture clinic review Wednesday. Managing to get comfortable to sleep is difficult, my knee seems almost as painful as the shoulder, still swolllen to about 2 x size of the other one! Stiff as helll when I get up, and everywhere seems to ache!

Luckily I recently became a British Cycling member, their solicitors are helping me claim against the car driver who decided he wanted to be where I was. If you're not a member I strongly recommend joining.
All of this seems pretty familiar. There is probably only a matter of a few inches at most between our respective breaks. Even after 3+ weeks sleeping is far from comfortable. Last night in particular following some initial physio treatment I was in a fair bit of pain in my shoulder. Mine too was swollen to twice the size and normal and as Saluki says the bruising was spectacular. Bike has a pringle shaped front wheel too and must have somersaulted over me as went down as back wheel is badly buckled also. Minor knock to left shifter and that's about it. Of real concern is what you cannot see. There is no visible damage but my Garmin tells me I was doing over 16mph when the accident happened. That can't have done the front end an awful lot of good even though it appears undamaged. Can't get it to LBS as obviously unable to drive.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Seems to be one step forward twosteps back, went to fracture clinic and the shoulder blade is doing well, I am allowed to take the collar and cuff off and try to use the right arm and use the collar and cuff as and when I think I need it, come back in 6 weeks job done. However......

The accident also damaged my left knee, swelling and laceration etc, They took X rays at the time and it was still swollen some 10 days later, Doc had a feel around looked at the X rays again saw a line on something he didn't like so sent me for an MRI to seeif it might be ligament or cartilage damage. The MRI was inconclusive so now waiting an an appointment for them to put a 'scope in for a look see. In the meantime its still swollen, still limited movement etc and fairly painful.

Not sure if I should try to keep it imobile or keep trying to use it. This is turining into a bit of a sod.

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Quick update if you're interetsed, makes me feel better anyway ^_^
Shoulder mending, had arthroscopy on the knee yesterday, no ligament damage, I have a degenerative meniscus (aka old age!), and they cleaned all the blood and gore out, strapped it up and I just need to take it easy, physio etc.
I can see light at the end of the tunnel !^_^

Top Bottom