Frame materials?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do some people prefer a particular material? Carbon fibre seems to be the most popular. For me I think it is the quality of the components, and the lack of weight of a nice bike that makes the difference. I ride a aluminium bike as a run-around, and my decent bike is a carbon fibre. Cant really say if there is any advantage between the 2 materials beyond weight. Never tried any other materials. Do these frame materials actually offer tangible qualities over an equivalent specced bike?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Why do some people prefer a particular material? Carbon fibre seems to be the most popular. For me I think it is the quality of the components, and the lack of weight of a nice bike that makes the difference. I ride a aluminium bike as a run-around, and my decent bike is a carbon fibre. Cant really say if there is any advantage between the 2 materials beyond weight. Never tried any other materials. Do these frame materials actually offer tangible qualities over an equivalent specced bike?

Yes.

Citius

Steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fibre can all be tuned to give whatever type of ride quality you like. Just vary the wall thickness, tube diameter, butting, or carbon layup and there you go. The main benefit with carbon fibre is that all that can be done at a significant weight advantage over the other materials.

screenman

Legendary Member
Because it's failure mode is rather more, er, spectacular.

I have had steel snap, but never carbon.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Steel, aluminium, titanium and carbon fibre can all be tuned to give whatever type of ride quality you like. Just vary the wall thickness, tube diameter, butting, or carbon layup and there you go. The main benefit with carbon fibre is that all that can be done at a significant weight advantage over the other materials.
Not all Carbon bikes are lighter than ally or steel bikes.

Citius

Because steel does not contain an epoxy matrix which degrades when exposed to UV.

So, as screenman says - perhaps some sort of paint finish would be a good idea. Steel also needs painting (unless it's stainless, obviously)

Top Bottom