Frame materials

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gongfarmer

Hi, having returned to cycling after a lay-off over 20+ years I'm gobsmacked by the different types of frames material used.

In my day it was Reynolds 531 db or plain gauge.Then the others such as vitus, columbus,etc

I have a 1965 Excel made bt Harry Perry,Woolwich built with 531 & nervex lugs and its still in very good nick.

Therefore are these newly built frames any longer lasting or do they have a shelf life?

Of course having in mind the use being equal.

Then 10 speed blocks and the wheel dishing phew!

I feel like an old man needing education :rolleyes:

Ace Demon

I have a 1965 Excel made bt Harry Perry,Woolwich built with 531 & nervex lugs and its still in very good nick.
Therefore are these newly built frames any longer lasting or do they have a shelf life?
They are generally not more durable - except titanium. But they offer a different feel.

I keep a 531 bike and find the frame is a bit twisty on bumps and hard pedalling; some people still like this. For this reason I only use it for short utility journeys. It is difficult to make a stiffer steel bike because this requires larger diameter tubing which either adds weight or requires the tube walls to be thinned down & therefore more fragile. Different materials can give the required stiffness with less compromise.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I would say that alloy and carbon frames should last as well if not better than steel- although obviously carbon is a bit more fragile from knocks.

The main developments since you last rode framewise is the refinement of oversized alloy tubes - greater stiffness for the same weight and then carbon frames giving the same stiffness for even lighter weight and greater comfort.

The other main development is in the availability of factory wheels - you can get the same quality wheels that the pro's ride althoogh they do tend to cost a fair bit.

Top Bottom