Frame protection from scratches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spandango

Regular
Hello! Being a proud owner of a new shiny trek hybrid, I have noticed to my horror that I have already scratched the paintwork after only two weeks! How clumsy! Do you guys have any recommendations for some sort of transparent protection that will be easy to remove when desired? Like a tape or sheet that could be cut to size? My main fear is for my front fork as the fork on my last bike is badly disfigured and rust-covered from rubbing against bike racks :sad: poor thing...

Tangoup51

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GB8JS0I/ref=twister_B00GB8JR7W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Stuff I used on my boardman, it's virtually impossible to tell it's there.

You apply it via soapy water & heat; which conforms it to any tricky surface snuggly. - In which case, it's impossible to tell but offers good protection. Fairly cheap too.

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
Ooh thanks. So rhino tape or helicopter tape. I was a bit worried that eBay tapes might either not stick or might pull the paint off!

Tangoup, that rhino one looks reliable but why do you need soap and heat to apply it?

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Ooh thanks. So rhino tape or helicopter tape. I was a bit worried that eBay tapes might either not stick or might pull the paint off!

Tangoup, that rhino one looks reliable but why do you need soap and heat to apply it?

The idea is, you use the soapy water to replace the air under the tape; then use the heat (from a hair dryer) to evaporate and force out the water; taking all air with it, leaving nothing but suction holding it on :smile:

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
The idea is, you use the soapy water to replace the air under the tape; then use the heat (from a hair dryer) to evaporate and force out the water; taking all air with it, leaving nothing but suction holding it on :smile:

How clever! I'll work on the logistics though because my hairdryer is in a 3rd floor flat and my bike is in the powerless bikeshed. Thanks for the info!

Tangoup51

How clever! I'll work on the logistics though because my hairdryer is in a 3rd floor flat and my bike is in the powerless bikeshed. Thanks for the info!

It is; if you buy it, just be sure to start squishing the water out aswell as heating it. It may take some practice, but it works very well. - Also, you have to remove the backing tape that covers the Side of the tape you're supposed to wet; but cut to size before you start peeling it off ready for use. :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's good to look after your bike. But they do get battle scars, just as we do. Some of the battle scars on my bikes remind me of places that I have been to. Once your bike has a few you can relax and not worry about it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello! Being a proud owner of a new shiny trek hybrid, I have noticed to my horror that I have already scratched the paintwork after only two weeks! How clumsy! Do you guys have any recommendations for some sort of transparent protection that will be easy to remove when desired? Like a tape or sheet that could be cut to size? My main fear is for my front fork as the fork on my last bike is badly disfigured and rust-covered from rubbing against bike racks :sad: poor thing...

I know just how you feel. I’ve used similar tapes to protect against cable run as that is something which really upsets me.

Like you I hate the first scratch. My experience is one often appears early and then there are no more for ages.

Re the rubbing on cycle racks I’m guessing you are using one which hangs on the back of the car and the bike mounts sideways on to the car. These are in my experience very prone to rubbing.

Get hold of some pipe insulation, the dense foam type, cut to legnth and use to cover as much as possible of the rack, hold in place with duct tape. I also keep a few small pieces of insulation to put on the bike frame if there are spots the carrier frame is still exposed. This also helps when two bikes are being carried.

Holding the bike securely in place helps. I’ve found the straps sold for old style toe clips are ideal to secure bike to carrier with no movement or damage.

I love riding my bikes and my enjoyment is enhanced by knowing they are as clean and pristine as possible. Totally anal but that’s where I am with it!!! :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom