Frame protection from scratches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GB8JS0I/ref=twister_B00GB8JR7W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Stuff I used on my boardman, it's virtually impossible to tell it's there.

You apply it via soapy water & heat; which conforms it to any tricky surface snuggly. - In which case, it's impossible to tell but offers good protection. Fairly cheap too.
Thanks for the link. The last few times I bought that stuff it was from bike shops and cost a hell of lot more than that. I've bookmarked the link.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Thanks for the link. The last few times I bought that stuff it was from bike shops and cost a hell of lot more than that. I've bookmarked the link.
Well so much for that idea! I can't order from Amazon UK and Amazon USA / Australia sites don't have it. Not impressed. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
I've ordered some tape and in the meantime have masking taped a thin sponge to the bit on the rack that is doing the damage...its basically a corner of metal that has already trashed the paint off one side of the brake...I leave it every night in a position where no paint is touching the rack but when I went out today it had more new scratches on the fork from rubbing against the rack when neighbours knocked my bike getting theirs out :sad:

These racks are designed to put the bike up on a slope but my frame is so light that the pannier rack causes it to rear back off so it's difficult/dangerous/impossible to put it up like that so I lock my bike to the side of the rack, like most others in the shed.

I just wished i'd identified the scratching bit sooner.

Having said that, I took it out for a ride today and was slightly less worried about it getting stolen when I parked it up.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
It's good to look after your bike. But they do get battle scars, just as we do. Some of the battle scars on my bikes remind me of places that I have been to. Once your bike has a few you can relax and not worry about it.
I always worry about the first scratch on a new bike. However, I bought the bike for riding and scratches are inevitable with being piled up in the shed and on trains and ferries.

presta

Guru
Do you guys have any recommendations.................rubbing against bike racks
Don't use bike racks. I always park the bike so that it's leaning against a wall with the only points of contact being the bars and the saddle (or the pannier if it's fully laden). The paint is pretty much as new after 16 years.

OP
OP
Spandango

Spandango

Regular
Don't use bike racks. I always park the bike so that it's leaning against a wall with the only points of contact being the bars and the saddle (or the pannier if it's fully laden). The paint is pretty much as new after 16 years.
That's a nice idea but my passive aggressive neighbours just move my bike back to a rack so theirs is against the wall....I tried it....

Top Bottom