Frame protection recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

muuds

Hi all,

My first post so please be gentle! I've just purchased a Giant e+ road bike to help me get back to longer distance post injury and I'm looking to get some heli tape or similar on the frame to provide paint protection. Being an e-bike with integrated battery in the down tube it has a wide diameter so I need to take that into consideration. I was hoping to find a custom kit as I've found with other models but nothing exists. This leaves me either buying Heli tape and cut to requirement or go for a generic pre-cut kits. Does anyone have any recommendations that might suit this type of bike?

Hi all,
Speed Test
My first post so please be gentle! I've just purchased a Giant e+ road bike to help me get back to longer distance post injury and I'm looking to get some heli tape or similar on the frame to provide paint protection. Being an e-bike with integrated battery in the down tube it has a wide diameter so I need to take that into consideration. I was hoping to find a custom kit as I've found with other models but nothing exists. This leaves me either buying Heli tape and cut to requirement or go for a generic pre-cut kits. Does anyone have any recommendations that might suit this type of bike?

Zero importance mines filthy at the moment and will stay that way for few more weeks until the spring. Few scratches? Yes but it gets used a lot off road. Typically three more years and it’s sold for a new one. Second hand market for four year top end old bike? Not much.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Why do you think you need it firstly? As long as you look after it the paint is pretty robust.

Lookrider

Invisiframe ...
They will have a library of bikes frames
Basically put your bike in the search page and you can get the protection film pre cut to shape just to peel on
Although I got shop to do mine when I bought the frame

Just had a look and they don't do specific kits for any of our bikes (not even the better halfs Liv:wacko:); seems fine for the big brands though,although mostly MTB's.

I'd just get some heli tape and put it on the parts of the frame most likely to be damaged.

OP
OP
muuds

muuds

I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do on this occasion as there are no kits available.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Clear gorilla tape. Cheap, wide, durable but easily renewed if necessary.
That's a good idea. The tape on my bike needs replacing, I'll try this.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Zero importance mines filthy at the moment and will stay that way for few more weeks until the spring. Few scratches? Yes but it gets used a lot off road. Typically three more years and it’s sold for a new one. Second hand market for four year top end old bike? Not much.
The value point is probably true, I've never looked at the secondhand market. The real point though is some cyclists, me for example, like/enjoy maintaining the appearance of their bikes.

This has two effects; the simple pleasure of a clean bike and secondly a clean bike is easier to maintain and if one includes components such a brakes and chainset will ride better.

OP
OP
muuds

muuds

The value point is probably true, I've never looked at the secondhand market. The real point though is some cyclists, me for example, like/enjoy maintaining the appearance of their bikes.

This has two effects; the simple pleasure of a clean bike and secondly a clean bike is easier to maintain and if one includes components such a brakes and chainset will ride better.
Totally with you here. I always keep my bikes as scratch free as possible whilst maintaining them. It's certainly reflects in the second hand sale from my point of view.

Mrs M

Guru
Hi all,

:welcome:
Be careful if you take a flask on your rides.
Nasty scratch on mine now, annoyed at myself for being so careless.
Great bike, hope you enjoy!

adamhearn

Veteran
Hi all,

By all means use a bit of tape at strategic locations (where cables curve around the frame, chainstays, etc.) but the doing the whole frame is a bit overkill? Keep it clean, don't lean it up against unstable objects and it'll look good for a long time.

Top Bottom