Frame re-enamel/spray???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
I have, on my car's alloy wheels (previous owner) and on a Kona Cinder Cone (Thorp Arch PC) a few years back. I have a frame being done in RAL 6018 (Kawasaki green) this week, I'll post some pics when I get it. Cost £20 to get the frame and forks blasted, I think 25 for the coating, to which I'm having added a metallic lacquer.

The Cinder Cone I got coated in Ford ASBO orange, again with a metallic lacquer on top. I'm not using it at present, a shame, it's a project bike that I was using as a parts source for a while. It looks great.

The problem with powder is that unless you get it back between blasting and coating and spend the time filling and sanding any dents and dings and corrosion pits, the powder doesn't fully obscure it.
I've got the frame and forks back from the PC, looks great. Kawasaki green, with metallic lacquer. £45 Inc blasting. I'm cleaning the powder out of the bottom bracket threads, which is a chore, but you can't get away with it even when the coater has blocked the ends as well as he can.

si_c

Guru
Don't forget to get the facing done properly:okay:

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I've got the frame and forks back from the PC, looks great. Kawasaki green, with metallic lacquer. £45 Inc blasting. I'm cleaning the powder out of the bottom bracket threads, which is a chore, but you can't get away with it even when the coater has blocked the ends as well as he can.
And the requisite pic is where … may I ask ? :rolleyes:

Dolorous Edd

It is super-expensive to have a frame resprayed now. With decals, a contrasting head tube and lining, it would cost you about £350 at Argos.

To be fair, it's super expensive to have anything done at Argos. Custom 725 frame and forks for £2,800 - double the cost of Mercian.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My local powdercoater did a good enough job on a Moulton (no real lugs to blur). The secret is to get an extra gloss lacquer coat. Very shiny and no orange peel. It was full of blasting sand, though :laugh:

Fredo76

Über Member
I just got my old racing frame back from O'Leary Powder Coating (in Santa Fe, New Mexico) and am absolutely pleased as can be.

He charges $275 for one color including all prep, plus $75 for an additional color.

Dale 1956

Enamel jobs are blooming expensive. I've done a very nice job of my Ribble with a pearlescent white rattle can, but it's a single colour, and you've got to be careful with the bike at first, especially re-assembly as the paint is still fairly soft for a number of weeks. Cost of that was probably £100.

So you can see where a powder coat works out better - cheaper and tougher. Worth googling a few and you'll find many put pictures of their work on social media etc.
I had a Surly Big Dummy with powder coating it turn out good all white. I no longer have it thanks to a lady that hit me in 2015 total lost of my bike and I got a broken back form it too.

Top Bottom