Frame re-enamel/spray???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi all,
My partner has a 1993 Dawes Galaxy. Its decent condition but thinking about having a smarten up. Most likely go for a nice metallic blue with a white headtube and white lining on the lugs. So what are the options in terms of type of paint/enamel? and can you say a rough cost? I have had frames dome at Vaz finishes in Catford (he's good) but cannot remember how much. Any other recommendations?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
You could enquire at
https://www.whitescyclecentre.co.uk/workshop.html
(Crayford, near the bus garage)

Had a frame resprayed by them a long time ago and was pleased with the results.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It is super-expensive to have a frame resprayed now. With decals, a contrasting head tube and lining, it would cost you about £350 at Argos.

I'd like to have the Moulton done but (even though there are no decals on a modern one), coming in five parts probably means it costs as much as a tandem to paint!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Enamel jobs are blooming expensive. I've done a very nice job of my Ribble with a pearlescent white rattle can, but it's a single colour, and you've got to be careful with the bike at first, especially re-assembly as the paint is still fairly soft for a number of weeks. Cost of that was probably £100.

So you can see where a powder coat works out better - cheaper and tougher. Worth googling a few and you'll find many put pictures of their work on social media etc.

battered

Guru
I've never seen a powdercoat I'd be remotely happy with, except OEM factory powdercoating.
I have, on my car's alloy wheels (previous owner) and on a Kona Cinder Cone (Thorp Arch PC) a few years back. I have a frame being done in RAL 6018 (Kawasaki green) this week, I'll post some pics when I get it. Cost £20 to get the frame and forks blasted, I think 25 for the coating, to which I'm having added a metallic lacquer.

The Cinder Cone I got coated in Ford ASBO orange, again with a metallic lacquer on top. I'm not using it at present, a shame, it's a project bike that I was using as a parts source for a while. It looks great.

The problem with powder is that unless you get it back between blasting and coating and spend the time filling and sanding any dents and dings and corrosion pits, the powder doesn't fully obscure it.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The problems I've usually seen are an orange peel effect, pinholes (which will rust terribly - rust spreads under powdercoat beatifully), obscuring of fine detail like lugs, and a failure to adhere properly at sharp edges like dropouts and mech hangers. Even my Moulton's factory powdercoat finish is mediocre, with paint flaking off from all the bits mentioned above. Some of the Taiwanese frames, like Surly, get it right.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never seen a powdercoat I'd be remotely happy with, except OEM factory powdercoating.
I've got 2 ive had coated and each look superb. Both over a decade old and both still look sharp, clean and smart, with zeromsign of degradation. As aforementioned by muself, it needs to be done properly, and when done so is superbly well suited for bicycles.

The problems I've usually seen are an orange peel effect, pinholes (which will rust terribly - rust spreads under powdercoat beatifully), obscuring of fine detail like lugs, and a failure to adhere properly at sharp edges like dropouts and mech hangers. Even my Moulton's factory powdercoat finish is mediocre, with paint flaking off from all the bits mentioned above. Some of the Taiwanese frames, like Surly, get it right.

And ive seen painted finishes eqally appalling. A crap finish is a crap finish, regardless of the method. Powder coat is no more automatically crap than paint is automatically excellent.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've just got a frame and forks back from Maldon, and it looks superb. Smooth and glossy, no pinholes. Not cheap, but looks fantastic. If the finish lasts as well as the factory paint, I'll need to get it redone when I'm 90.

frame coated.jpg

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Thanks for the replies
I have been in touch with Vaz finishes in Hither Green (Lewisham). He does metalic for £140, white panel £20, luglining £20, decals including 531 £30. I have used him before and couldn't fault his work and it seems these prices compare well.
I will probably have one colour without detailing as the Galaxy lugs are nothing that special. So would be £170

si_c

Guru
Thanks for the replies
I have been in touch with Vaz finishes in Hither Green (Lewisham). He does metalic for £140, white panel £20, luglining £20, decals including 531 £30. I have used him before and couldn't fault his work and it seems these prices compare well.
I will probably have one colour without detailing as the Galaxy lugs are nothing that special. So would be £170
Sounds reasonable, I paid £180ish about 6 years ago for an enameled finish with details and decals from C&G finishes in Liverpool, I did have a pearlescent finish with an extra lacquer coat over the decals though.

Top Bottom