Frame reconditioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weevil

Hello all.

<This is my first post here, so if it's in the wrong place, or contravenes any rules, don't hesititate to berate me.>

I have bought a full-susser MTB (via a well-known online auction site) which was described as having a "totally reconditioned" frame. Having received said bike, it's clear that the seller and I have differing opinions as to the meaning of "totally reconditioned".

The frame only (not the swingarm) has been sprayed. Badly. Without the swingarm having been removed. That's it. Two of the original decals are visible under the new paint, as are the chips in the original paint (especially along the top tube) and the original paint in several hard-to-reach areas (eg. between gussets).

My questions are:
  1. Would anyone here consider "totally reconditioned" to be an accurate description of a frame in this condition?
  2. Could anyone recommend a company/person to recondition the frame, preferably from personal experience, and give me an idea of cost.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

weevil

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bad luck! What kind of feedback did the muppet have from previous sales? I hope you didn't give positive feedback?

Best to strip the bike completely and take it along to a proper finisher. Up here we have Atlantic Finishers in Bury who are good but there must be one in your neck of the woods.

jimboalee

If I were you, I'd take it to the Police and tell them you bought a bike off a trader in good faith.

Tell them 'To me, it looks like a stolen bike that's been quickly disguised'.

ASC1951

Guru
Speaking as someone who used to have a legal hat to put on...

"Totally reconditioned" means that all the consumable parts (e.g bearings and bushes) have been replaced with new and all the non-consumable parts are in full working order. It should function as well as a used item can be made to function. It doesn't necessarily imply perfect cosmetic condition.

I can't imagine that the police would be remotely interested, jimboalee. Why should they be? This is a pure contract matter.

IMO this bike has been wrongly described. I'm afraid this is the risk you take at auction, weevil, and I've certainly been caught a couple of times myself. If you can't get any allowance from the seller, just leave appropriate feedback and move on.

OP
OP
W

weevil

Rigid Raider said:
Bad luck! What kind of feedback did the muppet have from previous sales? I hope you didn't give positive feedback?

He had a feedback score of just over 90 with 100% rating. I've yet to leave feedback as I don't consider the matter closed.

ASC1951 said:
IMO this bike has been wrongly described.

Agreed. I've emailed the seller in this regard, stating that I wish to return the bike and have my money refunded. I'm giving him a week to respond to that email, after which I'll try one phone call before attempting to recover my money through PayPal.

If I do end up keeping the bike - either as a result of not getting my money back, or the seller not bothering to collect the bike if PayPal rule in my favour - then it's very likely that I'll recondition the bike myself. It's a GT I-drive and appears fundamentally sound, so I think it's worth the effort. However, a refurb will probably cost me as much as I paid for the bike and that's before I replace all the cheap, inappropriate components which the seller chose to fit.

I have contacted my local constabulary to ask whether there's a national register of stolen bikes against which it might be checked, but they've yet to respond.

Thanks for your helpful replies. I may come back and bore you with the outcome in a month or so.

lukesdad

The police wont get involved in anything to do with auction sites,theyre even wary of fraud on them .Im afraid its the age old case of buyer beware.

02GF74

Über Member
lukesdad said:
I'm afraid its the age old case of buyer beware.

disagree. on ebay, if that was the well know auction site, you can start a dispute is item is significantly not as described and in theory can get your money back if paid via paypal.

If you are not happy with description - linky? photos? then kick up a stink - also insist the seller pays for return postage since why should you loose out?

there are bastards out there on the bay who rip people off, but in my experience they are few and far between.

mr Mag00

rising member
surely they would be interested if the frame is registered as stolen, you will lose the bike though and the money i assume

lukesdad

Its your choice to buy the item in the first place,if I were buying a cheap reconditioned frame I d want to see plenty of pics check feedback etc. If you go back into sellers history and there are afew bikes (especially different frame sizes) I wouldnt touch em with a barge pole. Be wary of paypal its not as cast iron as you think.

lukesdad

mr Mag00 said:
surely they would be interested if the frame is registered as stolen, you will lose the bike though and the money i assume

You ve got to have a frame no. and of course its got to be reported stolen in the first place, Bike theft is not high on the police to do list.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
jimboalee said:
If I were you, I'd take it to the Police and tell them you bought a bike off a trader in good faith.

Tell them 'To me, it looks like a stolen bike that's been quickly disguised'.

It's a very good way to have the bike taken off you until the police resolve ownership issues. You don't get a refund either.

OP
OP
W

weevil

Three cheers for eBay!

I've read a lot of comments online to the effect that eBay don't really care about their customers, as long as the fees keep rolling in, so was pleasantly surprised that eBay resolved my "reconditioned" bike purchase issue quite quickly and to my total satisfaction.

The seller wouldn't play ball, so eBay refunded my money. As simple as that!

They've also told me that it is at my discretion whether, or not, I return the item to the seller. So, the frame may now be properly/professionally reconditioned...if it doesn't turn out to be stolen.

On that topic, my local constabulary have told me that they only hold a register of frame numbers for bikes stolen in this county. There is no national register. I've contacted the seller's local police and am waiting to hear beack before commiting any money or time to sorting the bike out.

Finally, if anyone reading this needs their faith in eBay sellers restored, I've bought three other bikes on eBay in recent weeks: an absolutely mint road bike, a near mint hybrid and full-susser MTB in fantastic condition for its age. All were at least as good as their sellers' descriptions. I still think that the majority of eBay sellers are honest folk.

Top Bottom