Frame Restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rockn Robin

I've been looking for a classic road bike, but I guess my expectations are too high. I'm wanting to find something near perfect, but obviously that is a one in a million shot. Maybe this is a silly question, but can a frame be painted and set up with original decals etc to look like the original, or close to it? I don't mind going from there with component addition myself.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In short, yes, but it can get expensive. One question - why do you want perfection? It may be worth it on a very rare frame or one of huge personal significance, but most of the time it really is not worth it.

The other problem with a fully restored machine is you'll be too frightened to use it in case you scratch/dent/dirty it!
Of course, it's your money and no-one can tell you what to do with it (though there's plenty that'll help you spend it :smile:), but there's definitely an argument for "oily rag" resto. It's surprising what can be done with a bit of rust remover, t-cut and metal polish

Edit: and it's very satisfying!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yes it can be done as others have said.

I’ve had it done with a fifty year old shopper bike, a Dawes Kingpin. A complete folly, but it seemed fun at the time. The frame went to a company over her called Mercian cycles, it was a complete wreck and came back better than new with new decals. I still have it. I never take it out in the rain.

I am in the process of doing up an old BSA / Raleigh and considered the same again with that frame, in the end decided not mainly because I don’t have the same emotional investment that I have in the Dawes.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

In short, yes, but it can get expensive. One question - why do you want perfection? It may be worth it on a very rare frame or one of huge personal significance, but most of the time it really is not worth it.

Yes, that’s just it. Will it be expensive? Perfection? There’s nothing like a shiny new bike, even a shiny, like new, classic. Guys go to a lot of trouble and expense restoring old cars, why not a bike.

I understand what you mean regarding whether it’s worth it or not depending on the frame quality and the make, of course. For me, it will have to be a decent make and model. Waste of money on an old Walmart special. I would love a nicely restored Raleigh classic.

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

Yes it can be done as others have said.

I’ve had it done with a fifty year old shopper bike, a Dawes Kingpin. A complete folly, but it seemed fun at the time. The frame went to a company over her called Mercian cycles, it was a complete wreck and came back better than new with new decals. I still have it. I never take it out in the rain.

I am in the process of doing up an old BSA / Raleigh and considered the same again with that frame, in the end decided not mainly because I don’t have the same emotional investment that I have in the Dawes.

That’s what I would like done if I find a frame worthy. There are decent new bikes out there to be had, but most of what I see today don’t appeal to me. I don’t care for the way the newer style frames look with the slopped top tube. I told one salesman that they look like mountain bikes that have been on a diet. The only make that I’ve seen so far within my budget that comes close to the classic style is from a company called, Surly. Horizontal top tube. But, I still would prefer an older classic restored if needed.

Yes, that’s just it. Will it be expensive? Perfection? There’s nothing like a shiny new bike, even a shiny, like new, classic. Guys go to a lot of trouble and expense restoring old cars, why not a bike.

I understand what you mean regarding whether it’s worth it or not depending on the frame quality and the make, of course. For me, it will have to be a decent make and model. Waste of money on an old Walmart special. I would love a nicely restored Raleigh classic.

Ive restored several old Schwinns...beach bikes mostly. And a few Vespa scooters. I presently own exactly NONE of them. For me the joy in those was in the creation...the process of resurrecting something from disrepair, into a new renwed glory. Not in the long-term ownership, or ridership of them.

That said...the thought of having a Raleigh Twenty has been bouncing around in my mind.

There are decent new bikes out there to be had, but most of what I see today don’t appeal to me. I don’t care for the way the newer style frames look with the slopped top tube.
lol you're preaching to the converted here!
So what you're after is a shiny new 30+ year-old bike essentially :smile:

OP
OP
Rockn Robin

Rockn Robin

You find that a custom frame builder can make something to your specifications cheaper than restoring a classic secondhand buy.

I’ve actually thought about looking into that, but I still would like, say, a restored classic Raleigh. One that was actually made in England, and not in one of those mega factories in Asia. Not that I don’t like what they make, but a bike similar to what I rode in my youth. A genuine Raleigh, not some facsimile stamped Raleigh.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you want to go one better - how about building your own frame? I am seriously considering a frame building course, where over the course of a week to ten days you get to design and build your own frame. That should give you something to feel a connection with.

On a nice old frame that you are going to use, a new enamel paint job and stickers is quite OK. I have a frame worthy of such an upgrade but I painted it with a spray can for use as an everyday commuter hack that rides better than it looks.
On a rare or historical bike you can over restore.

Top Bottom