France en Velo - Channel to Med - Completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Thoroughly enjoyed that, thank you (although it made me grumpier to be landlocked on this miserable island right now).

We were in France at the same time as you and went to the England - USA semi-final in Lyon, the match before the one you attended. It was absolutely brilliant - converted me to women's football entirely and changed my husband's perception of the game as well. Glad you got to see the lionesses in action.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Also, you guys drank a LOT of beer. Was that four pints EACH in Dover that first day or four pints between you???

johnfev

I'm planning on this exact ride next summer with my wife. I don't think we'll be as fast, but hopefully we will make it! Looking forward to reading your article after work.
Just realise we live in the same town. I'm guessing that you didn't manage to do this last year?

johnfev

I found it!
I have to say selling gps files for a route you haven't done strikes me as a bit off.
It took me about 20-30 hours to create those routes and then more time to make the different packages. They were built by reading the book cover to cover, and painstakingly cross referencing it with google maps, street view etc. While I haven't ridden them yet, they've not been thrown together and I'm pretty certain they are faithful to the route.

People can choose to buy or not buy and I'm ok with that. I'm not exactly charging a fortune in the context of actually going and doing the journey. I know from feedback I've had that routes available elsewhere (that have been ridden) take detours off into random villages looking for food/drink/comfort breaks. Mine are true to the book leaving users the option to take their own detours when they please.

Reactions: mjr
It took me about 20-30 hours to create those routes and then more time to make the different packages. They were built by reading the book cover to cover, and painstakingly cross referencing it with google maps, street view etc. While I haven't ridden them yet, they've not been thrown together and I'm pretty certain they are faithful to the route.

People can choose to buy or not buy and I'm ok with that. I'm not exactly charging a fortune in the context of actually going and doing the journey. I know from feedback I've had that routes available elsewhere (that have been ridden) take detours off into random villages looking for food/drink/comfort breaks. Mine are true to the book leaving users the option to take their own detours when they please.
My point stands: The route is an unknown quantity to you outside of a computer screen.

To my mind selling the files is a bit off and runs counter to the ethos of the touring community that I am aware of.

At least had the route been completed with contemporary comments and observations there would be some value.

Besides, a lot of people love the planning process!

France is hardly a difficult country to cycle in.
The book was published in 2013.
Multiple versions of the route are available on the likes of
Biroto
RideWithGPS
CrazyGuyOnABike (members can download any gps file that journalists have uploaded)
And Cycle.Travel
(At least three of those are fully free to use).
A small donation to cycle.travel not only gives a few advantages, it'll help make day to day cycling more enjoyable and it's giving something back to a community.

Personally, the idea of following a 1600km route, following the same stages as a (popular) author is not my idea of fun. My need for toilet breaks, food, water and the weather are all reasons that my needs and theirs diverge. Not to mention my own interests. Throw in multiple people? It gets very complicated!
For me, a gps route is a handy guideline in all but the most complicated urban environments.

This post is written less as a counterpoint to @johnfev and more as an attempt to point out to folks that alternatives are available.
There are many, many wonderful resources that we all can use for info or just for inspiration. We learn. We share. Someone else comes along and does the same.

yello

One of the tour companies channel-to-med tour passes not far from where I live. I've seen them a few times though not last year.

Top Bottom