France Med to Channel....I'm off tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I am going north to south as it makes the bike on the plane easier and at this time gives me a better chance of warm weather in the North..but summer will be lovely

stuartmac

Still considering that, perhaps Cherbourg to South Coast, think I've ditched the Barcelona idea but might train it back? Depends how easy it is to get your bike boxed and get to an airport?

robing

Über Member
What was the hotel you stayed at the first night, an F1? I look forward to reading your blog as I am doing a France E2E in September. Starting at Bayonne, going to cycle all the way home from there via Calais.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Premiere CLasse. Better than F1 it seems. Very acceptable. book ahead and paid 32eur and free wifi and a/c. And if you have not perked brekkie there is every chance they will forget!

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I am going north to south as it makes the bike on the plane easier and at this time gives me a better chance of warm weather in the North..but summer will be lovely
And less likely to get broken by the Mistral, plus the lure of southern France to drive you onwards. I couldn't have faced flying to the sun and cycling away from it when I did similar in 2012.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
And less likely to get broken by the Mistral,
Have you read today's update at www.jmhr.com - it was BRUTAL

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's been really cold down there for a couple of months, and when I was down at Easter the southerly winds were unreal. It's only really warming up next week.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
BTW, I've found that Meteociel gives a more nuanced (i.e. accurate) forecast in France than any of the others. If anything it verges on the pessimistic. Meteo France is a rubbish website, and its forecasts aren't much better.

Hope you don't suffer with the wind (fnar fnar) like today's again. Always a bit of a risk heading north. The TDF is heading traight up the Rhône from Montélimar this year - that would be interesting if they catch a corker Mistral (though it's much more common in spring and autumn).

Top Bottom