France Med to Channel....I'm off tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobH

Über Member
I shall be following your progress with interest, as I am due to do a similar route (St Malo to Perpignan) in reverse, kicking off May 29th. From the look of your map, I'll be covering a very similar route!

robing

Über Member
Nice reading a tour blog in real time! Well done for keeping up to date. I always struggle to do that on the road.
What camping stove are you using and what fuel?

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Nice reading a tour blog in real time! Well done for keeping up to date. I always struggle to do that on the road.
What camping stove are you using and what fuel?
all going well! After 3 days of murderous headwind I have now had 4 days of massive tailwind, and I managed a massive 140k full laden yesterday. Unbelievable. I am now having two nights in a hotel and a full rest day as bad weather all day, and I had done 840k in 8 days. Ferry booked for Sat morning so have 4 full days to do about 340k, but a bit hillier. Aiming to camp every night. One place has no restaurants so may have to cook

@robing I have a Kovea I got in NZ something like this
kovea_titanium.jpg

needs a Coleman or Primus bottle which i now have, but I also have an adapter (Edelrid) to use the old Camping Gaz pierceable bottles. Not ideal and seems a bit dodgy but works

www.jmhr.com for all the latest!

robing

Über Member
Great stuff! I also have a Coleman stove. The Pocket rocket. Many cycle tourists seem to favour the Triangia type stoves.

Only 4 days til I leave for my tour.

toffee

Guru
Well done and a good write up.

Derek

all going well! After 3 days of murderous headwind I have now had 4 days of massive tailwind, and I managed a massive 140k full laden yesterday. Unbelievable. I am now having two nights in a hotel and a full rest day as bad weather all day, and I had done 840k in 8 days. Ferry booked for Sat morning so have 4 full days to do about 340k, but a bit hillier. Aiming to camp every night. One place has no restaurants so may have to cook

@robing I have a Kovea I got in NZ something like this
kovea_titanium.jpg

needs a Coleman or Primus bottle which i now have, but I also have an adapter (Edelrid) to use the old Camping Gaz pierceable bottles. Not ideal and seems a bit dodgy but works

www.jmhr.com for all the latest!

We've got an identical Go Outdoors own brand one and an Edelrid adaptor, I've found you get a better seal on the adaptor if you lube the rubber seal.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If I did it again I would avoid the canals. Dull. But had a great trip. Just posted today's update with food photos. Fruits de mer! www.jmhr.com
Well done!

When I did St Malo to Die, the first two days were on straight roads towards Tours, but even with lumpy bits I go really bored and yearned for some squiggly roads and proper hills. I imagine canals are even worse for boredom.

Top Bottom