Frank Schleck positive test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
My favourite was the 'Columbian Throat Lozenge'.
my favourite was "it was for my dog"

A team doctor is asked to put his career on the line by committing a criminal act that will see him struck off the medical register! Far fetched? That's an understatement if ever I read one.
Possibly, I don't know the team doctor concerned but some have been complicit in drug taking, so it's not so far fetched, besides I rather liked Raindog's conspiracy theory. Even if it's not deliberate it does but SckleckF on the back foot now.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think any rider would be silly enough to accept a drink from a spectator?

I saw Nibali accept a bottle of water from a spectator near the end of one of the earlier stages - might have been stage 7, I don't remember exactly which but it was an unusual enough sight that it stuck in my mind. I thought at the time it was a bit daft, then was relieved when he poured most of it over his head... but then he took a swig from it.

d.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It all sounds like a second-rate Agantha Christie novel now. I'm sure Hercule Poirot could solve The Case of the Poisoned Cyclist in no time at all.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I saw Nibali accept a bottle of water from a spectator near the end of one of the earlier stages - might have been stage 7, I don't remember exactly which but it was an unusual enough sight that it stuck in my mind. I thought at the time it was a bit daft, then was relieved when he poured most of it over his head... but then he took a swig from it.
d.

Yeah, they usually just chuck the stuff on their heads. You do have to be daft (or suffering from severe dehydration) to accept a drink from a random stranger in the TdF. I'm always more concerned that it might not be what you expect when you pour it on your head. You don't want to end up covered in some sticky energy drink (or worse...).

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You don't get those in a Woolies pic'n'mix.

Shame... mind you, you don't get Woolies pic'n'mix at all anymore... :sad:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's the fall back defence that's been used over the decades. Deny any knowledge, claim it must have been a doctored drink, in the cough mixture you got from the chemist, a natural product of your body, etc etc etc. All the usual old bollocks trotted out by who has been caught doping.
I share your scepticism, but the kind of person who would throw tacks on the road (possibly betting-related) wouldn't think twice about offering a spiked drink to a cyclist

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

d.

Sounds like an idiot manoeuvre, or a move of sheer desperation (or a family member or close friend spectator), you never know what it is, drinking or tipping over your head! Tacks on the road, next, acid in a bottle!

Hont

Guru
There will always be riders who are cheating, no matter how small in number they (hopefully) become. If they are being caught this is a good thing. I'd much rather this happen than a Tour with zero positives, because then you know someone has gotten away with something.

And if high-profile names with a, presumably, sophisticated program in place are being caught then this can only discourage others and indicates that, for now at least, the testing is doing a good job. So I find this encouraging.

Top Bottom