Fraud advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
DPD parcel delivery, seems to stand for Dozy Parcel Dumpers :okay:

Drive Pretty Dangerously

Reactions: DRM
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Update.

The police don’t appear to care.

DPD haven’t sent anyone to pick it up so I still have an iPhone 15 worth £800 in my possession.

We’ve checked credit agencies and can’t find any unusual activity yet. But will keep checking.

At this rate my daughter will be getting a very nice Christmas present.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might be worth checking with Apple giving them the serial nos. Any sim inside? Probably not if no paperwork tying it to a network.
There has to be an company somewhere missing an IPhone, registered to your address. Bit worrying.

classic33

Leg End Member
Might be worth checking with Apple giving them the serial nos. Any sim inside? Probably not if no paperwork tying it to a network.
There has to be an company somewhere missing an IPhone, registered to your address. Bit worrying.
He can run a check on the IMEI number. Checking if it has been reported, for anything including missing.

tom73

Guru

iPhone since XS have had eSIM option and before that you’ve been able to buy via Apple iPhones with preloaded sim. It’s also common to buy sim free. All of which if direct from Apple they don’t come with paper work. It’s all via Apple ID

Serial number is worth checking fakes are around. But all it will confirm is the model nothing else. IPhone 15 comes with a number of very clever holograms hidden on the box. A load of stock got stolen on a big Apple Store raid. But they are not the new model and every thing has now been locked by Apple.

He can run a check on the IMEI number. Checking if it has been reported, for anything including missing.

That’s possible the other is they may have locked it already via ICloud in which case it’s toast. At the same time it’s easy to set up once activated to show its exact location to who ever wants it back.

classic33

Leg End Member
iPhone since XS have had eSIM option and before that you’ve been able to buy via Apple iPhones with preloaded sim. It’s also common to buy sim free. All of which if direct from Apple they don’t come with paper work. It’s all via Apple ID

Serial number is worth checking fakes are around. But all it will confirm is the model nothing else. IPhone 15 comes with a number of very clever holograms hidden on the box. A load of stock got stolen on a big Apple Store raid. But they are not the new model and every thing has now been locked by Apple.

That’s possible the other is they may have locked it already via ICloud in which case it’s toast. At the same time it’s easy to set up once activated to show its exact location to who ever wants it back.
To track it they'd need to know the serial and the IMEI numbers. Impossible to know before you've seen the box.

Can't see DPD, or any major delivery company, knowingly delivering stolen items.

The police don’t appear to care.
I find that very odd.
It appears that it's a crime based on the criminal returning to the home of the victim. First of all, that's a scary proposition for most of us and secondly it seems like a pretty good lead to actually catch someone.
Is there a way to complain about this? To raise the profile of it? Perhaps a local newspaper?

At this rate my daughter will be getting a very nice Christmas present.
Personally, I wouldn't be doing that.
Tell her the story and she potentially becomes an accomplice to a crime. Don't tell her and she may not be very thankful.
Perhaps I'm paranoid but with the way so much information and bank account info is now held on phones even the seizing or sudden blocking of a phone could cause a whole load of hassle.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just a thought, could this be a new type of scam where the sender of the phone assumes you will start using it, and then somehow is able to hack into it (either remotely or from outside your house i.e picking up your wifi signal), thus getting access to banking apps etc?

That's all I can think of really. Could also be a mistake. Someone I know got sent 2 xboxes some years ago from Amazon, after only ordering 1. They kept both and no-one noticed

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I have just taken delivery of an iPhone 15 from DPD.
Only problem is I didn’t order one.
It was delivered in the name of our surname with a male name using my wife’s first initial.
There is no delivery note, I didnt have to sign for it and it came with no return details.
What do i do apart from call DPD?
Someone must have taken out credit in our (almost) name at our address.
I don’t want poor credit scores on the house.

I've just had another think about this. Given that it seems impossible to track who sent it, and from where, I'd guess that was intentional. What I think happened is:

Criminal used stolen bank card/details to buy iphone.
Stated your address as delivery address and intended to pick it up from you claiming "yeah address was wrong, can I have my parcel mate"
Criminal has since died/hospitlaised/been arrested so can no longer pick up "their" phone from your address.

If it were me, I'd keep it for at least 6 months and see if anything happens. You could try contacting Apple or persuing it with DPD if you have the time and the patience. But I think no-one has logged it as missing because the criminal is the only one who can do that, and they wouldn't want to. Apple and/or the supplier of the phone have got their money. The person whose card details were used fraudulently has probably got the money back from the CC company or some sort of insurance. You could sell it...if you want to risk that, but if it were me I'd clearly state that there are no returns as the phone is new but unchecked and cannot be verified?? Or if you don't want to profit from this situation (and want to ensure that no-one potentially suffers any form of future fraud/hacking/hassle) then throw it away.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Couple of things wrong with that @Electric_Andy OP says his own own name with a variation was used, the criminal did try to pick it up, the guy who knocked on his door.
More likely the fraudster applied for a card and used that to buy the phone or applied to buy it on contract with the OPs details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Couple of things wrong with that @Electric_Andy OP says his own own name with a variation was used, the criminal did try to pick it up, the guy who knocked on his door.
More likely the fraudster applied for a card and used that to buy the phone or applied to buy it on contract with the OPs details.

oh sorry, missed that bit. I'd go to the police then, describe the visitor and see what they say. Sorry of you've already done this OP. At least then you have reported it, so if you have any hassle in future they have it on record

Top Bottom