Fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garrilla

I have used the 'unmentioned' cycling retailer a lot in the past year and my card is still secure so I think they got over that problem.

MartinC

Über Member
If you're not accusing anyone of compromising the card then there's no libel. If you just say "my card details were stolen and in the preceding x days this is the list of places it was used at" then it's a plain statement of fact which you can prove if necessary.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
+1 have never had a problem

garrilla said:
I have used the 'unmentioned' cycling retailer a lot in the past year and my card is still secure so I think they got over that problem.

garrilla

Bongman said:
No agreed, neither am I, but as far as Im aware, as long as the forum has a disclaimer they are untouchable.... (providing they conform to any Cease and Desist). And I doubt it would be worth any time/money chasing a single forum user for a civil matter.

The forum owner is considered to be the publisher of the defamation and is therefore legally culpable. Case law now exists for libel, defamation and slander.

Ordinarily, a forum owner would be asked to remove the offending item. However, if the plaintiff can show that damage occured prior to the to cease and desist request there may still be a case.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Have decided to sit here quietly and tear my hair out.
I have in fact bought online from 4 cycle companys and from these cycle companies only this past year.
Cannot tarnish 3 "innocents" if indeed the fraud has occurred here. I know I`ve mentioned Ryanair but they are universally hated so who would defend them.

mistral

Guru
[FONT=&quot]It's happened to me a couple of times in the past 6 months, luckily my card provider (John Lewis) were on it before I was aware.

I've used said cycle retailer, and would agree their customer service is excellent.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do many on-line transactions inc. quite a few for small software & fonts etc. purchased for work. I think it’s just an endemic problem and difficult if not impossible to track down where the data has been compromised.[/FONT]

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have used the said cycle retailer many times in the past without any problems. You can also pay the said retailer by using pay pal if you wanted to.

The time I got done I had not used the said retailer with that card.

byegad

Legendary Member
A couple of years ago I had two examples in short order after using an online cycle shop. Both times they told me where the attempted fraud had taken place and it was a no brainer as to the culprit. I stopped using the firm and had no more trouble until a few months back when the Card Company called me and cancelled the card and gave me a new one. This time they wouldn't tell me where the problem had been detected so now I have no idea which firm has a problem. It most certainly wasn't the original firm as I have still not used them.

Virtual DBP said:
happened to me... source was the shell garage near my work, a polish temp and a doctored till.

My son has just gone through this, fortunately Natwest picked up on it very quickly and cancelled his card before too much damage was done.

Theres an interesting link here! He is sure his card may have been swiped at a local SHELL garage, and guy at natwest seemed to suggest that there may have been problems there before.

gavintc

Guru
byegad said:
A couple of years ago I had two examples in short order after using an online cycle shop. Both times they told me where the attempted fraud had taken place and it was a no brainer as to the culprit. I stopped using the firm and had no more trouble until a few months back when the Card Company called me and cancelled the card and gave me a new one. This time they wouldn't tell me where the problem had been detected so now I have no idea which firm has a problem. It most certainly wasn't the original firm as I have still not used them.

+1 This describes me as well, although I used the company again last Christmas. New card about 2 months ago.

Virtual DBP

addict freak... i refuse to go anywhere near shell garages. it happens all the time with them. not sure if it's their recruitment policy, e.g. cheap foreign temps, their lack of anti-fraud processes, e.g. managers checking card equipment every hour or what...

the annoying thing for me was it wasn't a credit card, it was my switch card and even though i noticed it before half the money went, the bank couldn't stop the transaction.

turned out that there were so many people at my work who fell victim that for a while we considered getting the police in thinking someone in our office, e.g. payroll folk, were behind it.

wafflycat

magnatom said:
Have you ever used your car in a petrol station? Has a waiter ever taken it away at a restaurant? etc.

There are many ways to get your card details that aren't necessarily online.

Indeed.

Happened to Family Wafflycat. MrWC puts in his PIN in full view of all & sundry. I have warned him of the dangers of this. I touch type the number in with my other hand comepletely obscuring the keypad.

Am I being thick here? - The theif is taking the banks money not your money.

Why is it a problem for you as long as you use the card as they instruct?

If a masked man with a gun held up the bank and took £1000, it would not be seen as my £1,000 but the banks. It is their job to look after the money not yours.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Over The Hill said:
Am I being thick here? - The theif is taking the banks money not your money.

Why is it a problem for you as long as you use the card as they instruct?

If a masked man with a gun held up the bank and took £1000, it would not be seen as my £1,000 but the banks. It is their job to look after the money not yours.

I think you must be!!
As we are reminded time and time again the banks make billions, they don't lose money, they don't give money away and any that is stolen is recouped through its customers.

Then there is the inconvenience of getting a new card, re applying for internet banking etc etc, its a ball ache.

Then there's the moral aspect some toerag who cant be arsed working is getting a free ride!!!!

Top Bottom