Fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D4VOW

byegad said:
I stopped using the firm and had no more trouble until a few months back when the Card Company called me and cancelled the card and gave me a new one. This time they wouldn't tell me where the problem had been detected so now I have no idea which firm has a problem. It most certainly wasn't the original firm as I have still not used them.

I had the same earlier this year, except i didn't receive a phone call and only found out while i was stood trying to buy goods at a counter. I returned home and called my CC company who then told me that they had cancelled my card due to me using a company that had breached privacy rules. They would not say which company it was but it was shortly after building up my Fixed Gear and I used a few companies.

I know of three cycling companies that have had this problem in the past.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Happened to me too. Make lots of online purchases, and my bank advised using a specific credit card (not debit card) for online puchases only, which I now do, and I use Paypal if at all possible.

asterix

Comrade Member
As I understand it a lot of card transactions are not dealt with in house but through intermediaries. e.g. call-centres who may handle transaction for many different suppliers. In such cases it might be very hard for joe public to spot a pattern as we don't know who uses which call-centre.

The vital thing is to follow all the advice given by the card-provider and to keep an eye on statements. As over the hill says, it's the bank's money if you use the card as they instruct.

p.s.

Am I alone? I don't hate Ryanair!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Why are people so quick to throw the finger of suspicion at online transactions?
Detail skimming is so easily done at petrol stations, restaurants .. places where you only use once and maybe far from home...
Even the local CoOp cash machine in a 'nice' surbuban Cheshire village had a slot camera put on it by a gang of (scally)wags a few months back...
I keep a very close eye on my accounts and sadly as I am usually maxxed up anyway, my details would be a bag of shite to any would be eastern european mobster.

Crankarm

Guru
I thought the problems of card skimming at petrol stations and restaurants was well known. To still be paying by card in these has got to be asking for trouble. The odd occasions I buy fuel it is cash only. A number of garages in Peterborugh - Shell and others have been hotspots for card fraud.

Fraud on line shopping may not be down to any retailer but to your own computer which has become infected with a key stroke logger sitting undisturbed recording everything you type or a trojan. Up to date virus protection and firewall is soooooo important.

rh100

Crankarm said:
Fraud on line shopping may not be down to any retailer but to your own computer which has become infected with a key stroke logger sitting undisturbed recording everything you type or a trojan. Up to date virus protection and firewall is soooooo important.

Really good point - it's like checking over your shoulder at the cash point - I only ever use it online on a PC I'm sure is secure as can be.

Over The Hill said:
Am I being thick here? - The theif is taking the banks money not your money.

Why is it a problem for you as long as you use the card as they instruct?

If a masked man with a gun held up the bank and took £1000, it would not be seen as my £1,000 but the banks. It is their job to look after the money not yours.

It's a problem if it's your debit card, it's direct access to your cash, not your credit line, which means your broke until the bank replaces it into your account. The worst that can happen with a credit card, is that your limit will be reached and stop you being able to use it.

It has happened but it is thankfully, extremely rare.

http://www.media.is.tohoku.ac.jp/~jsimmons/MedLit/TotalizeV.MotleyFool.html

Globalti

Legendary Member
Skimming a card takes only as long as it takes for the card to slide through the reader. The magnetic data can then be stored on another card like a hotel door key card until a fake bank card can be made with it. Ours was only out of our sight for a few seconds behind the restaurant counter; that was enough.

yello

asterix said:
Am I alone? I don't hate Ryanair!

Given your location, that doesn't surprise me!

I don't hate Ryanair (not keen on O'Leary but that's another matter!) but I don't use them. In truth, I prefer to get the train if heading back to the UK. Though that is as much to do with convenience as preference.

Anyway,sorry, credit card fraud....

cef1963

I recently had two mobile phone top ups added to my credit card for £15 each, the credit card supplier called me on a Sunday at home and explained that because of the Chip and Pin system criminals have taken to using random number generators and do hundreds of test transactions at a time on smallish amounts, if they are authorised they max them out asap.
The credit card company credited the two fraudulent amounts, issued me with a new card and cancelled the compromised one.
It seems to me that we should use caution at all times as we can be victims even if we don't use on line stores and we keep our cards hidden away in our wallets.

Jonathan M

There is also the fact that card details may have been obtained sometime before the problem becomes apparent, example, MrsM a couple of years ago was victim of credit card cloning - remember the TK Maxx fraud a couple of years ago? No money taken but as the scale of the problem became apparent it seems cards were replaced as a precautionary action.

Often whoever skims the details passes it on to third parties, so it isn't as clear cut as using a card online at X, Y, or Z in terms of who to blame.

Visa and Mastercard brought-in PCI DSS Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard a couple of years ago as an anti- credit card fraud measure.
It details all sorts of security measures anyone handling credit card numbers has to take, from shredding paper order forms which have card numbers on them, to destroying the 'your calls may be recorded' tapes if they have card numbers on them, to encrypting card numbers in their computer systems before they charge your card and then deleting the card numbers afterwards, to doing criminal records checks on staff who can access card details, to website firewalls and anti-virus, etc, etc.
They're forcing retail merchants to apply these rules, with (very expensive) audits from outside data-security consultants to give sign-off's, major fines for non-compliance and really humungous fines if there is some data breach by hackers, etc.

As much of a risk is data processing by the banks of the card transactions - there have been several reported instances of outsourced data centres in India providing card details, even for cards which haven't actually been received through the post by the cardholders yet !

There are a few people advocating using PayPal rather than their card when buying online, but personally I'm not keen at all on using PayPal at all, unless I'm forced to by buying on eBay.
- what makes you think PayPal is secure ?
- if anything goes wrong, have you ever tried to get your money back from PayPal ?

Do be aware that if you buy something over £100 on your credit card then the card issuer has Section 75 liability, meaning that they are also liable if the company supplying the goods goes bust
- and if you get into a dispute for non-delivery, or the quality of the goods, etc then you can take it up with your credit card company
http://www.prudentminds.com/section-75.html

You won't get Section 75 from your card issuer if you buy something via PayPal - you paid PayPal, PayPal paid the seller...
http://www.wider-implications.info/case_studies/wi_03.html

I've heard enough horror stories about Paypal dispute resolution on eBay to not want to have to go through them...

Crankarm

Guru
Paypal are a nightmare if you have problems with a transaction. I speak from bitter experience. Plus their charges are exorbitant. AVOID!!!

Top Bottom