Free hub and cup/cone clean and lube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nyooome-nore

upload_2018-5-22_21-10-36.jpeg

So I took the time to do something i’ve Yet to do on any bike, removed the cassette and give it a clean! Forgot it was silver, and yes I know I could have gotten it cleaner but that’s a job for the weekend :smile:

Just got the B’twin beasty back this afternoon from the LBS and went for a quick 12 mile zoom, there are still some noises to take care of but not the ratcheting clockwork that there was.

One question WRT the bearing in cup and cone hubs; generous amounts of grease (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/finish-line-teflon-grease/rp-prod980) have been applied, in the cup to sit the bearings in, along with some on the cone as it was screwed it. Then the fixings were adjusted until any play was eliminated in the axle and the hub still rotated freely. Anything I have forgotten? On and the free hub side bearings were swimming in dirty grease whilst the NDS bearing grease was still nice and clear.

On and for anyone looking to get a B’twin from decathlon, I love this bike however the B.B. cups were loose according to my LBS when I took it in for pedaling noises, and the cassette lock ring almost fell off this evening when I went to remove it. So it is well worth taking it in to a proper bike shop for a check over before you unleash yourself on it.

Finally, how satisfying is cleaning a grotty drive chain :biggrin:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Sounds good to me, I'd check for play on the axle in about 100miles just to make sure nothing has worked it's way loose.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you adjusted so there's no play with the wheel out of the frame, then the bearings might be a little tight on a QR hub - the hollow axle deforms slightly when you tighten the QR. Ideally there should be a small amount of play in the hub that is removed when you tighten the QR.
This.

A small amount of play that just disappears when the quick release is done up.

gbb

Legendary Member
Done mine a few times and found I usually make a judgement...yep, that feels like just enough slack then to clamp the wheel in and find it' not quite right....adjust again a little more or less depending on how it felt. It might take two or three tries to get it right but it's no problem...all good practice.

OP
OP
Nyooome-nore

Nyooome-nore

No need to adjust it s the freehub died last night! Went to push away at a roundabout and my legs were going whilst the bike was not!

Luckily there is a Decathlon on the route home so I walked in, and got a free replacement wheel before I had time to drip dry! So a heartfelt endorsement of Portsmouth Decathlon, and Josh who did all the work to get me home ^_^

Top Bottom