Free touring paid for by the EU...beat the credit crunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
In another post here, BalkanExpress asks for advice on touring shoes, and mentions that he is on a free tour. Yes it is FREE. I have only just spotted that part of his post.

www.danubebybike.eu for details. You have to get to the start point and home again, but accommodation and food are provided for 5 nights. "basic accommodation (rooms will be for 2-4 people) and catering free of charge"

There will be people from all over Europe -sadly I cannot go but will be fascinated to see how it goes.....

It's sounds great! Unfortunately finances and lack of annual leave mean I can't go...oh well, they might always decide to do one next year...

yello

I was half interested so tried to look at how to get to a start point by train.... talk about pffaf. I'd spend longer getting there and back than on the tour itself!

andym

Über Member
According to the Man in Seat 61, the easiest way to get to Budapest by train from London is to travel to Cologne, then get the sleeper to Vienna, and then train from Vienna to Budapest.

If you're travelling from Paris the recommendation is to get the 22:45 sleeper from Paris Est to Munich and from there to Budapest.

yello

Cheers andym, that's interesting and actually do-able; why didn't the SNCF site tell me that! I'll add that site to my bookmarks too, well useful.

andym

Über Member
yello said:
Cheers andym, that's interesting and actually do-able; why didn't the SNCF site tell me that! I'll add that site to my bookmarks too, well useful.

A good question and I started to wonder whether I had given you duff information. It seems like you're not the first person to ask:

http://forums.munich-french-connection.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2984

A quick look at the German Railways site indicates that the train exists but it leaves earlier than 22:45.

Top Bottom