Free tracking app without registration needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Sportactive has stopped tracking my rides properly. Can anybody suggest a reliable free tracker that can save ride details? Ideally map route and speed per km. Preferably an app that does not need me to register.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The no registration bit will be tricky. Best way to do that would be to get a cheap basic GPS unit.

The free ridewithgpsapp will do what you want but does require you to set up an account.

strava is the obvious one i guess but you need to register. after that though the free version will give you basic detail.
i was never one for strava and the like but i use it on each ride now and it's quite 'fun'. just nice to see where you went and how long it took etc

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

The no registration bit will be tricky. Best way to do that would be to get a cheap basic GPS unit.

The free ridewithgpsapp will do what you want but does require you to set up an account.

Thanks for the suggestion I have now downloaded this but it says there is a week free trial then £59.99 for the year. I am wondering if I downloaded the wrong app.

OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

strava is the obvious one i guess but you need to register. after that though the free version will give you basic detail.
i was never one for strava and the like but i use it on each ride now and it's quite 'fun'. just nice to see where you went and how long it took etc

Is this basic version available to be used indefinitely? Or limited to a set number of weeks? Ideally I hope to retain my data somewhere.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the suggestion I have now downloaded this but it says there is a week free trial then £59.99 for the year. I am wondering if I downloaded the wrong app.

I'm already a paid premium subscriber so it's hard for me to answer this, but if you check out the RWGPS site, the free "Starter" a/c allows you to record rides, and premium will "Unlock everything our mobile app offers". Which suggests to me that if you set up a "Starter" a/c then you should be able to use it with the app.

But maybe not. I'm not really an expert on the app, as I don't use it all that much. And I'm also not an expert on the "Starter" free a/c. All I can suggest is that you fiddle around and experiment.

Perhaps, as I suspect, the "free trial" may be just a free trial of premium features, after which you have to either pay to retain them or revert to the basic "Starter" level features. I don't know, check out the wording of the message. Or maybe I'm completely wrong and the app doesn't work at all for the free a/c. I leave that to you to figure out.

https://ridewithgps.com/plans

Edit: This link shows you what the "Basic" account can do. Is "Basic" free? Is it the same as "Starter". I don't know.
https://support.ridewithgps.com/hc/en-us/articles/13901706641563-Overview-of-the-Basic-Upgrade

A basic unpaid RWGPS a/c will last indefinitely. I had one for several years before I went to premium. What I don't know is the extent to which it will allow you to use the app.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is this basic version available to be used indefinitely? Or limited to a set number of weeks? Ideally I hope to retain my data somewhere.

Now I can answer this one. Yes you can use unpaid Strava indefinitely. I have a basic/unpaid/free level strava a/c. I've had it for years. I don't use it much but I just opened the app and it has a "record" button on it which I've just pressed for the first time ever and it seems to work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Now I can answer this one. Yes you can use unpaid Strava indefinitely. I have a basic/unpaid/free level strava a/c. I've had it for years. I don't use it much but I just opened the app and it has a "record" button on it which I've just pressed for the first time ever and it seems to work.
Thanks for this. I downloaded Strava and registered today for the free functions. I went out for a right tonight and it tracked faultlessly. Really nice interface and mapping too.

Top Bottom