Freebie single speed flipflop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
This was left outside a house in our village yesterday. It looked like someone was trying to get rid of it but there was nobody in when we knocked and there was no sign so we left it. It was stilll there today so my wife jumped out of the car as we drove past and knocked, whilst I took the kids home. 5 minutes later she’s wheeling it up the drive. Formerly used as a London commuter but no longer needed, left for someone to take otherwise heading for the tip. So now I have it.

A bit of research shows it’s a State Bicycle Co 4130 Volt, retired from their range in 2016. It was in completely unloved condition - filthy all over, no sign of oil but actually in decent condition underneath and it all works. The freewheel is stiff so I’ll get that freed up, and at 59cm it’s a bit too big for me really, but a quick test ride shows it’s actually not too bad.

I’ve never had a singlespeed or fixie and in truth it’s not really something I need or will use much, but I already like it. I can’t believe it was heading for the tip!

Condition on arrival…
793A9B3D-EACF-4CDD-8065-93B1CA3D9A2F.jpeg

44864D0B-CB60-4181-9633-239B61129A27.jpeg

6BBD6934-774A-412E-817E-947F31E38C85.jpeg

F4A1DC45-B10B-4E36-BF59-A1C325B5236C.jpeg

C7541061-8DF7-44CD-ABE4-3C7413D7D0B5.jpeg

And after a cursory wipe over…
460C10E9-4D45-4D92-AA30-A70410CF5366.jpeg

A74E77A0-4D45-4442-803E-20D5A5BA14B3.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Nice find. We've got a similar fixie turned into a grasstrack racer.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I couldn’t help myself from tinkering, so the rear wheel is now flipped to the fixed side (which looks like it has never been used). I also thought about where I might ride it - around here the streets are not paved with gold, or even at all sometimes, so the 23mm tyres on it would be a struggle. So I put a pair of Schwalbe CX Pro tyres on I happened to have lying about, thinking at least then I could use a gravel track and the local ploughed roads without too much issue. Sadly it’s too late to test ride, so that’s for another day.

Sharky

Guru
They are not expensive to buy, but for a freebie a great addition to the stable. Might be worth switching the brake levers to bar end TT levers. Then you have access to the brakes when usually holding the bars as wide as possible for cornering and fast descents.

Enjoy. I use my SS in preference to geared bikes for shorter rides. Much better workouts.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
51C4F663-A121-47EF-AA50-F537F88A1743.jpeg
Just popped out to the local shop on it - I flipped it back to freewheel as I didn’t like the fixed gear (may come back and try again another time). On the 30mm CX tyres it rolls beautifully over the broken cycle paths and local lanes and there’s a surprising freedom when you don’t have to think about gears.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You've been lucky there. I see that they are selling new ones at a sale price of £399 at the moment.
... and there’s a surprising freedom when you don’t have to think about gears.
There IS!

I enjoy riding my singlespeed bike (now actually a 2-speed).

I would like to have those track ends though - I don't like the faffing about with my chain tensioner, which always seem to rattle or make other noises. Maybe one day I will buy a new frame and do it properly.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Might be worth switching the brake levers to bar end TT levers. Then you have access to the brakes when usually holding the bars as wide as possible for cornering and fast descents.

I had thought this too. In fact I’m sure the existing levers could be set up as inline levers for the best of both worlds, but I do like the look of bar end levers. Would give me the opportunity to personalise the bar tape too… :scratch:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Singlespeeders are excellent. Nothing much to go wrong or out of adjustment. They just work.

'Proper' ones (with track ends or horizontal dropouts) - yes.

My DIY version needs a bit of attention every now and then though because the chain tensioner needs to be adjusted for chain wear. Also, the tensioner tends to get knocked out of whack if I go over a bump in the road at speed. I must have another go at sorting that out.

silva

Über Member
View attachment 642982 Just popped out to the local shop on it - I flipped it back to freewheel as I didn’t like the fixed gear (may come back and try again another time). On the 30mm CX tyres it rolls beautifully over the broken cycle paths and local lanes and there’s a surprising freedom when you don’t have to think about gears.
What you didn't like about the fixed gear, it's like returning to a pony after riding a horse.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
What you didn't like about the fixed gear, it's like returning to a pony after riding a horse.

Having done exactly that many times, I’m not sure it’s an accurate analogy. I love riding (weight-bearing) ponies - its like riding in fast-forward whereas horses are all lumbering and sloooow moootion in comparison.

I just didn’t take to the fixed gear - too ingrained with freewheels and no particular motivation to adopt. As I said, I’ll probably try again some time.

Top Bottom