Freehub body removal issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mezza86

Regular
So ive tried removing my freehub body from my old bike(Carrera) im rebuilding to make regreasing/replacing the bearings easier, but when i put my 10mm allen key inside its simply not biting to anything, yet i can see the shape inside for an allen key. It just goes straight through the wheel where the axle would be. Where am I going wrong? Ive watched endless 'how to' YT vids on it and they all suggest 10mm allen keys.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Allen key bolt is often an odd size on these free hubs, try an 11mm.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Actually, they could be anything from 10mm to 14mm.

Shimano usually 10mm and Formula, which come on lower spec bikes, usually 11mm.

Sharky

Guru
Can you try with a combination of Allen keys. Say a 4mm + an 8mm to make a 12mm. Try a little force to see if you get traction, but don't force it. At least you will know what size Allen key you need to buy.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Can you try with a combination of Allen keys. Say a 4mm + an 8mm to make a 12mm. Try a little force to see if you get traction, but don't force it. At least you will know what size Allen key you need to buy.
Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing, very good idea lol

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
Actually, they could be anything from 10mm to 14mm.

Shimano usually 10mm and Formula, which come on lower spec bikes, usually 11mm.
With only being an amateur at fixing my bike i just went with what the majority of the videos were telling me, all of which said 10mm. So i figured if it wasnt a sealed bearing freehub, then it'd be a 10mm allen key. But good to know there is now different sizes.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
If the key you have is almost there, you could try making up the gap by using aluminium foil around it. It might make it snug enough to remove.

OP
OP
Mezza86

Mezza86

Regular
And it might undo from the non-drive side like MrsF's hybrid. Had to order a 12mm hex key
Ye I tried the non drive side too as i know some do undo that way but no luck. I'll see if i can get a bigger one tomorrow at Halfords while im collecting a part I ordered.

Top Bottom