Freeview problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Anyone heard of Freeview picking up Welsh channels instead of English ones as their main ITV and C4 channel?
Just fitted a new one for my mum in the SK5 area and this is what's happening.
Any easy way to sort it? :unsure:

You didn't buy it off Dodgy Taff down the Fir Tree did you? :tongue:

Seriously though, no I haven't sorry.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
taken from here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1439973

The Welsh channels come first in the scan. Remove the aerial lead, start the scan and replace the aerial lead when the scan has past half way. It may take a couple of attempts to fine tune when the lead should be put back in.
Buy an in line attenuator which will suppress the signal so that the Welsh signal is dropped sufficently for the scan to consider too weak and go past them. You can get fixed or variable attenuators, the latter probably being the better solution as you can adjust the attenuation rather than hope you've bought the correct one.

Acyclo

Veteran
After the analogue switch off, digital transmissions increased in power by a factor of 20. Your box is receiving distant transmitters on lower frequencies and allocating them to the 'slots' for BBC1, BBC2, ITV etc.

The channels you actually want will be in the the 800 number group. Use them until you have the opportunity for a manual retune.

The individual channels are grouped together in multiplexes (also called muxes). To do a manual retune you need the channel numbers (or possibly frequencies) of the multiplexes from your local transmitter. Look them up on line. Note, this isn't the same as the channel numbers of the stations.

On your set select menu->setup (or whatever the manufacturer has chosen to call the menu section where you can do a manual retune). Select the channel numbers to tune. Save the results. You might need to delete the earlier tuning with an automatic retune with the aerial unplugged (but most likely not, with a recent set).

Now delete all the junk channels.

Simples.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon the telly/box. We have either to do the aerial trick or a manual tune depending upon which telly or recorder. SK6 gets a stronger Welsh signal, despite line of sight to Winter Hill.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
PSB1 on winter Hill is 62 the centre of this frequency band is 802MHz
PSB2 is 59 - 778Mhz
COM1 is 58 - 770 Mhz
PSB3 is 54 - 738 MHz
COM2 is 61 - 794 MHz
COM3 is 55 - 746Mhz

If you try various bits of those postcodes in wolfbane, it does flag up the possibility of multipath reception and Winter Hill being a bit weak in others.

Some of it may also be aerial alignment slipping out as the Moel-y-Parc and Winter hill have quite similar bearings for those postcodes. A poorly aligned aerial may well get a strong or broadly equal signal to Moel-y-Parc for this reason and multi path reception screwing up Winter Hill.

The problem is that that bit of the world has quite poor full freeview service (unless you use the Saddleworth transmitter). A lot of the local transmitters are freeview lite (PSBs 1-3) and this encourages people to use the main transmitte

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We always have a similar problem living so close to the River Severn - it automatically retunes to BBC Wales instead of BBC West Country. I can usually manage to find them under a different number until I get Mr Summerdays to sort it out.

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
We always have a similar problem living so close to the River Severn - it automatically retunes to BBC Wales instead of BBC West Country. I can usually manage to find them under a different number until I get Mr Summerdays to sort it out.
That's what I did summerdays, trouble is getting my mum to turn the freeview box on is a challenge, never mind confusing her with 800+ channel numbers :biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice and frequency details, will sort it out later this week :thumbsup:

Top Bottom