freewheel single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
A hammer and chisel.

djb1971

Legendary Member
They are a pain to remove. Do a search for the sturmey archer ones, twice the price but better quality and easy to remove with a four prong tool.

simon.r

Person
A hammer and chisel.

^_^ Or one of these and a BIG spanner.

Personal opinion, but I'd be wary of buying very cheap freewheels as they they don't last long IME and when they fail the results can be catastrophic - if you're pushing hard and there's suddenly no resistance it can unbalance you enough to make you fall off.

simon.r

Person
Has anyone got serious mileage on a SA freewheel?

At that price it's an absolute bargain compared with White Industries / Halo, if it's comparable quality.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got a few hundred miles on one, all in wet weather. It replaced a shimano one which was crap.

I've had the white ind. ones and they are unbeatable, the trials one is excellent but I think it only comes in 17t. I never had an issue with any white ones on the bikes. They are however much more expensive than the sturmey ones so they are not comparable. The sturmey ones are the best I've come across for the money, much smoother than the shimano.

Ball

Reading this post has got me a little concerned about the dicta freewheel I just bought for my commuter bike. I'll be riding it to uni probably 4/5 days a week, that's close to 20 miles a day, so 100 miles a week. Anyone got any idea how long it would last?

tyred

Legendary Member
Dicta should be okay in my experience. One of mine developed a clunk when taking up drive but I stripped it down and relubed and it's been fine since.

^_^ Or one of these and a BIG spanner.

Personal opinion, but I'd be wary of buying very cheap freewheels as they they don't last long IME and when they fail the results can be catastrophic - if you're pushing hard and there's suddenly no resistance it can unbalance you enough to make you fall off.

This has happened to me, and it hurts.:cry:

Top Bottom