French cycle race through level crossing with train approaching (video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Right well they only run at that speed on special dedicated lines with no level crossings (like HS1 in Kent). The top speed for years was 186MPH, or 300KPH, although I imagine it may have been raised to 320KPH on some lines.

I imagine that is just a normal line in the video where I am sure other trains run too, so making a big hoo hah about it being a TGV and how fast it goes is irrelevant! :whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Right well they only run at that speed on special dedicated lines with no level crossings (like HS1 in Kent). The top speed for years was 186MPH, or 300KPH, although I imagine it may have been raised to 320KPH on some lines.

I imagine that is just a normal line in the video where I am sure other trains run too, so making a big hoo hah about it being a TGV and how fast it goes is irrelevant! :whistle:
Whatever you say. It's still big and hard and it isn't at all friendly and loving and forgiving. It won't care if it kills you, and it won't stop if you behave like a dumb pr#t on a crossing. Ending up like a squashed fly on a windscreen a few tens of miles down the line isn't a cool look in my book, but hey! whatever floats your boat:okay:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Whatever you say. It's still big and hard and it isn't at all friendly and loving and forgiving. It won't care if it kills you, and it won't stop if you behave like a dumb pr#t on a crossing. Ending up like a squashed fly on a windscreen a few tens of miles down the line isn't a cool look in my book, but hey! whatever floats your boat:okay:

Err, no, I wont act like an idiot on a level crossing, I am just saying that the type of train is irrelevant. Have you seen these High Speed Lines?? Beleive me, you will know when you see one, it is quite a sight with a TGV travelling at 186MPH shooting past! :hyper:

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Err, no, I wont act like an idiot on a level crossing, I am just saying that the type of train is irrelevant. Have you seen these High Speed Lines?? Beleive me, you will know when you see one, it is quite a sight with a TGV travelling at 186MPH shooting past! :hyper:
MDB, I was on one in France ten days ago. Another TGV passed in the other direction on the track a few metres away. It took about three seconds.

Utterly fabulous!

bpsmith

Veteran
Those impressionable kids watching were probably taking a break from playing Call of Duty anyway!

If we're talking about people taking what they see on the TV as what happens in real life then this debate is endless...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Those impressionable kids watching were probably taking a break from playing Call of Duty anyway!

If we're talking about people taking what they see on the TV as what happens in real life then this debate is endless...
The subtle difference being, this WAS real life, not some acted out drama or fictional scene.

RedRider

Pulling through
One would hope some of the old men of the peloton would be reading the riot act to the hotheads who charged the barrier just as they would to the organisers of a race determined to go ahead through a mountain pass in unusually dangerous weather conditions. They should be emphasising the unwritten rules about not attacking in these circumstances so it's utterly clear there's no advantage in jumping a train. Just needs some leadership and discipline amongst the peloton itself.

Top Bottom