French cycle race through level crossing with train approaching (video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This is a common occurrence even in the TdF. When it happens, the leaders are told to slow down so that the rest of the bunch can catch up after the crossing.

bpsmith

Veteran
This wasn't just some random French race, it was Paris - Roubaix!

The peloton were told to slow and allow the split group to catch up after.

The interesting bit was that some went through when barriers were just starting to drop, but others went through blatantly fully dropped barriers with train approaching. No exclusions though, albeit tough to decide.

OP
OP
Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling

Über Member
This thread should be in Race, not in General Cycling, these racing types are not like normal people, I blame the drugs:sad:
Sorry my bad. As I don't race, and only commute to work 1 mile on the bike I only ever post in here so it never crossed my mind to look at where to post it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They should totally do a race where there are trains thundering around as an obstacle, it would be awesome! They could also leave useful stuff around for the racers to use. There could be banana skins to drop, maybe different shells to throw at people, some kind of weird mushroom...

Cyclist33

it was extremely stoopid but also extremely irresponsible, if as has been claimed on cyclechat before, cycling is the worlds most watched sport, then what sort of message does this give to kids approaching level crossings with their bikes?

worse still weve got quite a few rail crossings round here that dont even have barriers just a sign saying stop look listen.

tw@ts.

jim55

Guru
Why don't they just build a temp bridge over the line , a kinda scaffolding / easy structure to ride over and above the danger ,would easily solve the problem

Top Bottom