French

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@s7ephanie et al.

I've tried learning bits, having been there for the past 5 summers. Mine's improved but given I got a U/U grade in my French O-level it can't have got worse.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I've just finished beginner stage it but it's ramped up a fair bit from one course to the next and I'm really struggling now, ugh! Any tips gratefully received...

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Practice. Go to France and talk to French people. Failing that, maybe you could find a group that meets informally for French conversation - tutors round here run them to make pocket money.

I'm studying it, that involves practice. Unfortunately my job and my child's school are here, moving abroad isn't an option right now. I'm heading to Tignes in a few weeks though. Have tried the informal group route, none seem to exist here. Feel free to check.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I speak French. I'm even qualified as a translator from French to English. But I appreciate the struggle bit. Christmas morning and I greeted two women as ''messieurs'' when it should have been ''mesdames.'' I began again with the words ''this may make more sense in English.''

I believe that @gavroche of this parish may actually be a genuine Frenchie. Welshified, admittedly, but French underneath.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I know words and phrases but haven't mastered stringing them together!!
Would love to speak fluently.

I can string quite a few together but I usually get the order wrong! Have a listen to Paul Noble if you want a good beginner course, I learned it while cycling :smile: Unfortunately properly studying the language takes a lot more effort... meh.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

I speak French. I'm even qualified as a translator from French to English. But I appreciate the struggle bit. Christmas morning and I greeted two women as ''messieurs'' when it should have been ''mesdames.'' I began again with the words ''this may make more sense in English.''

I believe that @gavroche of this parish may actually be a genuine Frenchie. Welshified, admittedly, but French underneath.

I can't seem to get my head round word order, or the billion exceptions to every rule, have started watching French films to see if it sinks in a bit more but no joy there yet...

Diggs

Veteran
The vocabulary is ok. It's just a bit rusty and people would cry with laughter over my verb endings. I can sing La Marseillaise better than John Redwood sings the Welsh national anthem

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I can't seem to get my head round word order, or the billion exceptions to every rule, have started watching French films to see if it sinks in a bit more but no joy there yet...
Verb tenses and gender are the biggest bugbears, word order in French is actually more flexible than it is in English.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
School French...stilted and full of holes, but I can usually get by. If you're looking to learn, I think it can help to listen to the radio. Half try to understand, half just let it burble away while you cook or whatever...helps get a feel for the sound of the language, which is a significant part of the story.

Top Bottom