French

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

sazzaa

Agree with the TV news bit - simply because the talk with accompanying pictures are aides-memoire and besides...
I read L'Equipe, Midi-Libre and Le Parisien from time to time...never tried a novel in French though. Speed of enunciation was a bit of a shocker when I went South, having been used to stumbling over the kerbstones of Parisien accents, I was gunned down by the rat-a-tat-tat of the Languedoc and beyond. Smashing language though.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I keep trying.
I gave up at school when it came to choosing my exam subjects, my only real regret in life:sad: as I was quite good at it.
I had some lessons about 10 years ago which got me back up to speed, but a change of job and house move away stopped the lessons. Last year I started on the http://www.duolingo.com/ course. It was helpful but I've let it slide again.
Maybe this year I'll get stuck in again.

asterix

Comrade Member
Have been attempting to speak French for years but unfortunately my elderly Limousin neighbours have a very thick accent and don't understand the concept of speaking slowly so it can be a struggle! When they speak to each other I don't recognise a word as it sounds more like Italian. In the Savoie region this year I was surprised to find that the accent there was far easier to understand. I am far more at home in France than Spain though!

Berties

Fast and careful!
I can read French to a intermediate level ,even ask for items,buts it is when some one answers me ,I get lost and do the Del Boy thing,holiday in France every year,and even have family there
I have just employed a young lad from Paris hoping to improve his understanding of English spoken,it's a up hill struggle

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
*smug git alert* I can more than get by in French, and can manage very well indeed in Spanish. Can also 'do' similar languages well (Catalan, Gallego, Portuguese, plus Italian).

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Have been attempting to speak French for years but unfortunately my elderly Limousin neighbours have a very thick accent and don't understand the concept of speaking slowly so it can be a struggle! When they speak to each other I don't recognise a word as it sounds more like Italian. In the Savoie region this year I was surprised to find that the accent there was far easier to understand. I am far more at home in France than Spain though!
Here they speak with a very heavy Creuse accent

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Here they speak with a very heavy Creuse accent
That surprises me. I've spent a fair amount of time in the Corrèze and I never noticed anything particularly different from standard French, just a small splattering of patois words, mostly thrown in for comic effect. Provence, Marseille, now, they have a distinctive accent.

Top Bottom