Fresh ginger (for slow cook curry) questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A number of questions.
How do you peel it?
How do you grate it?
Do you ever use ground or frozen ginger in curry? If so, what did you think?
This is specifically for curry as ground or frozen will be different in baking eg cakes.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I Always use ground ginger.

I have never used fresh (or even heard of frozen)

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
You can peel ginger with a teaspoon handle, it doesn't have to be anything sharp.

I use ginger as part of a curry paste (all whizzed up in a blender), and make the curry from that. I would do a big batch and freeze the curry paste in bits, then it's easy to add meat, veg, tomatoes/coconut milk etc. to make a complete dish as you need.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Try planting some in a pot. It'll likely grow you some free ginger.... Eventually

Always fresh ginger in a curry .... Pre made/bottled is tasteless imo.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Freeze Ginger here too, I chop the outside skin off with a knife then coarsely chop the root, nice in a Chinese too that way as you sometimes get little Ginger 'bombs' where it hasn't all dissolved into the sauce. :hungry:

Which reminds me I'm cooking a Szechuan (spicy) Chicken & Cashew stirfry tonight. :becool:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Freeze it in a freezer.
Peel it with a peeler.
Grate it with a grater.
Cook it in a cooker.
I do this but don’t peel.
I just let it defrost slightly, then coarse grate while still fairly firm, the peel ends-up on the outside of the grater, the goodies on the inside.
Chuck the remaining ginger back in the freezer.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I do this but don’t peel.
I just let it defrost slightly, then coarse grate while still fairly firm, the peel ends-up on the outside of the grater, the goodies on the inside.
Chuck the remaining ginger back in the freezer.

Agree with you there, although I often grate it staight out of the freezer.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I peel it the lazy way by using a small, sharp knife and slicing off the sides and ends. You lose a little bit, but not much. I chop it as finely as I can, but I don't bother crushing or grating it because I find half of it sticks in the holes.

I can't believe how cheap ginger is. I bought a piece about as big as a builder's thumb the other day and it was 17p!

Top Bottom