Fresh strawberry sauce with your chicken anyone?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I adore sweet and sour so I might like it..
I had baked beans and tuna on a baked spud for the first this year..omg it's fantastic.
Regular post ride scoff now

subaqua

What’s the point
So you are not afraid ... but you are fearful. Hmm.

selective quoting there.

2 different things . not afraid of new things . afraid of the waste if not liked.

and the scottish thing.

I stopped in a 4 star hotel near Peterhead a few years ago. they had deep fried haggis on the breakfast menu. it was OK to be fair. preffered the normal haggis for brekkie tho...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
You haven't had haggis till you've had haggis-in-batter, with a side order of mushy peas in a polystyrene cup - there's a great chippy on Moffat that does it.

on the same subject - there used to be a cafe in Dumfries that did everything in batter - Haggis, Black Pudding, Peas.....

They'd have done the plate and cutlery too - if you'd asked.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
So you are not afraid ... but you are fearful. Hmm.
You haven't understood what I said. Most people IME don't fear the new food itself, but fear that if they don't like it, it'll would ruin the occasion and end up with £6.50 in the bin. Kids tend to actually fear food (fearing it might make them sick, or be too spicy and actually hurt them), but adults less so.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When we were in Lanzarote a couple of months ago there were Chinese spring rolls on the hotel buffet with a sweet chilli dip in a bowl at the side. I helped myself to a couple and poured a tablespoon of the sauce over them. Turned out it was strawberry sauce, the kind you'd put on ice cream, and some twit had put it with the savoury buffet. It was vile combination!

OP
OP
U

User33236

Chinese people tend to eat chicken with the skin on so it makes the meat a little fatty for UK tastes. The sweet sauces go really nicely with the oily, fattiness of the meat

What you don't want to do is have some super-lean chicken fillet with the strawberry sauce, that would be rubbish
Shredded chicken / beef is generally cut into thin strips and lightly battered before being fried in oil and the sauce added so may work in the way you describe.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That's the key...it has to be a bloody good (expensive ^_^) balsamic.

Yep, at least £10 per 500ml. I have been know to swig it out of the bottle.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Chinese people tend to eat chicken with the skin on so it makes the meat a little fatty for UK tastes. The sweet sauces go really nicely with the oily, fattiness of the meat

I don't buy this as an explanation. The partnership of meat and fruit is by no means an exclusively oriental phenomenon - duck and orange, venison and blackberries, ham and pineapple, turkey and cranberries... all 'classic' combinations in western cuisine. There are many other examples.

But strawberries and chicken? No. Not in Chinese cuisine, not in western cuisine, not anywhere.

Strawberries and chicken sounds like the kind of thing you'd see on Masterchef: The Professionals from a young self-taught chef who thinks they're being original and 'eclectic' (I hate that word) and doesn't get why no self-respecting restaurant would ever feature such a combination on the menu.

I bet even Heston Blumenthal has never served chicken with strawberries.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You haven't had haggis till you've had haggis-in-batter, with a side order of mushy peas in a polystyrene cup - there's a great chippy on Moffat that does it.

That sounds awesome.

There used to be a chippy in Margate that did mushy pea fritters - ie a dollop of mushy peas deep-fried in batter. That was awesome too. Not sure if the chippy is still there but thinking about it makes me want to investigate...

You haven't understood what I said. Most people IME don't fear the new food itself, but fear that if they don't like it, it'll would ruin the occasion and end up with £6.50 in the bin. Kids tend to actually fear food (fearing it might make them sick, or be too spicy and actually hurt them), but adults less so.
Well of course they don't fear the food in itself. What do you think I meant? That they are worried the food will bite them, or choke them, or poison them? No, they are worried that they may not like it, and would rather have the same old thing than risk the "terrible" consequences of ordering.

That is what being afraid of trying something new means.

But strawberries and chicken? No. Not in Chinese cuisine, not in western cuisine, not anywhere.
Strange.

So why does a google search for strawberry chicken get 65 million hits?

For comparison, pork apple - a combination found in just about every pub in the UK - only get a about 12% more, 73 million hits. And apricot chicken which I have had and which is nice, get's less than 10% of the hits of strawberry chicken.

Just because you've never had it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't any good.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So why does a google search for strawberry chicken get 65 million hits?

Because there are a lot of people out there who don't know better.

Just because you've never had it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't any good.

I don't need to google it for evidence that it exists. In my time working on restaurant guides, I witnessed all sorts of bizarre dishes on menus, many of them involving strawberries in ill-advised savoury combinations.

Whether it's any good is an entirely different matter, and one on which I trust my own judgment.

I don't need to google it for evidence that it exists.
I wasn't looking at evidence that it exists, the thread tells us that. The evidence - which is surprising to me - is it appears to be nearly as popular a combination as pork and apple and ten times as popular apricot and chicken.

That says more to me than a single person saying they don't think they'd like it. I'm definitely going to try it and see.

Top Bottom