Friday (as in Thursday) Night Ride to the Continent - 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
That's good value returning to Dieppe, Stuart. I spoke with Charlotte yesterday and she said that bikes had to be boxed or bagged on Eurostar.
The SNCF line is bagged/box is treated as luggage. Unboxed means you are supposed to have a reservation but it seems that turn up and hope is OK. As there are frequent trains this should not be a problem although you have to change at Rouen.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The project I'm working on, inherited from a soon to be ex-colleague, is doing its best to go off the rails, which means I need to be in the office on Friday morning, and wide awake.

Thusly I will have to bail on the ride. :angry:

Someone will have to pay for this. BIG TIME.

KathyP

Wotcha all. Have just popped in from over the road (yACF) to say "Hi" and that me an' Tim are planning to attend all the way to Dieppe, so we'll see some of you there.

When I booked two cyclists on the ferry, an odd message along the lines of "warning: you must book separately for each additional bike" popped up. I'm not sure if this means that I've only booked two people and one bike (which would be a weird and stoopid system), or whether they regularly get people who turn up with more than one bicycle, but since we're on the tandem and only have one bike between us, I'm not bothered. Anyway, this means we *may* have a spare bicycle allocation (though not the space for a person) up for the begging - I'm sure someone who has used this ferry before can enlighten me.

See some of you on Thursday night/Friday morning.

Kathy P

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've brought an upright back on the eurostar before. They wanted it bagged and with the wheels off (and in the bag). Still a little jumpy about letting me on. Considering the size of some of the suitcases / rucksacks on board, I think they got off lightly.

Charlotte

Dissolute libertine
Also booked in at Dieppe Formule1 So there is a bed going free there. Femmes de France will be given preference, particularly if they have a certificate in cycle maintenance;-)

How about a Femme de Ealing who's a bit handy with a spoke wrench?

If I do come all the way to Dieppe, I'm short of somewhere to kip. I'll pack my took kit and I don't snore :smile:

StuartG

slower but further
How about a Femme de Ealing who's a bit handy with a spoke wrench?
Please send picture of spoke wrench!

StuartG

slower but further
I reckon there are about 9 on the non-list. Anybody meeting up earlier at Victoria (usual place, usual time). Might be drier less windy than HPC.

Metcheck only suggests a wet start but dry if headwindy passage. Gave up on MetOffice/Weather.com. Too depressing.

TimO

Guru
The Current forecast on XCWeather for London has wetness midmorning (around 4am), whereas the forecast for Newhaven is frightening, 5mm of rain and 25mph Southerly winds!

I suspect it's going to be nice and pleasant and dry until such a time as it's too late to turn around!

On the plus side, once the sun comes up we'll soon dry off.

Top Bottom