Friday (as in Thursday) Night Ride to the Continent - 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Zut alors! We're going international!

Here's the deal

Set off from Hyde Park Corner at midnight on the 15th with sandwiches on board. We will try to storm the impregnable fortress that is Gatwick Airport, but the more likely bet is Pease Pottage Motorway Service Station, which, unusually for a motorway service station is on a B road.

Arrive Newhaven about 8, hang around in one of East Sussex' most scenic towns for a couple of hours, and catch the 11.00 ferry to Dieppe

Arrive Dieppe 16.00 and check in to Formule 1 hotel which is about three kilometres from the centre of Dieppe in an area best known for its warehouse shopping. The smarter ones amongst us would be advised to use the Hotel d'Anglais which is on the seafront.

Have a glass or two of vin rouge, watch the sun go down over the beach, go to sleep, and on Saturday morning mooch around the market which is really quite something.

Here's the tricky bit. The ferries are not running to their normal timetable, and if you're coming back on Saturday the choices are 5.00 or 21.00. The later ferry gets in to Newhaven at midnight which means that it's a Saturday Night Ride from the Coast - or to Three Bridges or Gatwick for an early train. Those of us who are catching the Eurostar back to France that same morning had better get a move on....

I know that Els has booked ferry and hotel, and I believe Andrij and Stuart are coming to Dieppe as well. Some of you might simply want to make the trip to Newhaven which is a very decent ride - we turn left at Wivelsfield and go through some blissful countryside, and then through Lewes and down the west side of the river Ouse

StuartG

slower but further
I'm up for it and Formule! Friday night. If the weather is good I fancy storming Paris on the Saturday. Its 100 miles from Dieppe and be right on my limit so it will be a steady 12mph plod between wine & cheese tastings to find another Formule1 on the outskirts. Then metro into Champ Elysees for the celebrations and Eurostar home.

It would be nice to have some friends ...

Andrij

Über Member
*sigh*

I thought this wasn't happening, so haven't made any arrangements at work. It now transpires that July is going to be a tough month and I won't be able to get the time off. :biggrin:

Oh well, maybe next year.

Je parle francais comme une vache espagnol. Je croix que 'je suis disponible'! :biggrin:

Bag, stuff, organisation...getting into unknown territory here - maybe buy clothes over there and chuck them away later in the day... Paris might be nice - I'll have a thinky poo.

"We're on our way.";)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I was in two minds about this, having failed to ignite any enthusiasm last year and the year after (and having been summoned to a party in Provence on the Sunday), but there is some enthusiasm, and people have made arrangements, so we're going to give it a go.

frank9755

Cyclist
Busy on the Friday night so I can't do the Dieppe bit, but would like to join the ride to Newhaven.

Is there anything open at Gatwick at 3-4 am? I spent a pleasant night sleeping on a bench in the South Terminal before an early flight a few weeks ago. All the eating houses seemed to close down around midnight, and a contractor took the opportunity to do some pneumatic drilling in the check-in hall while the place was quiet, which wasn't very considerate of him!

Frank

The "Costa a lot for a coffee" place is open throughout the night, as is the very well stocked M&S.

Where am I expected to put my hands then?? :smile:

Anyway, that's a photo from last year - I guess I ought to get a new one done but it's a question of getting the photographer to coordinate with the stylist and the location manager. You arty types know how it is.

TimO

Guru
I quite fancy the ride to Newhaven. I'm not sure about the bit across the Channel, especially given the slightly iffy schedule for the journey back, but I'll give that a think.

Tim Hall

dellzeqq said:
Zut alors! We're going international!

<snip>
and then through Lewes and down the west side of the river Arun

Won't be able to make this, but in the interests of geographical wossname, isn't that the Ouse, rather than the Arun?

dellzeqq said:
I was in two minds about this, having failed to ignite any enthusiasm last year and the year after (and having been summoned to a party in Provence on the Sunday), but there is some enthusiasm, and people have made arrangements, so we're going to give it a go.

I'm indeed committed to this trip, even if it doesn't come off as a FNRttC event. My plans are to cycle to Belgium on the Saturday, spend Sunday with my parents, then Eurostar back from Lille on Monday.

My Route

Top Bottom