Friday Night is Bizarre Music Night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedallingpasty

Maybe a bit of an obvivious choice this, but i think the whole of the UK gave a WTF when this reached #1 in the charts. Laurie Anderson's O Superman .
Certainly made me have a look around at other music, love the stripped back feel.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I am enjoying this thread.

Thanks for the Harry Partch tip, that'll take some investigating.

I'll post a quick one by The Residents

Which, while not the best example of what they can do, is rather bizarre.

pedallingpasty

Well ... in the spirit of the OP that asks for examples that make you go "Music? WTF?" .....

The following two examples spring immediately to my mind. Couldn't be more contrasted.

John Cage's 4'33"
Florence Foster Jenkins

Question: does this post make sense?

Well, i think you have beaten us all so far. :ohmy:

John Cages 4'33'', thought i turned off the sound. Thats got to be ultimate WTF, love the audience's appreciation.

Ukuleles are cool, made me smile Are Friends Electric

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Incredible String Band is the weirdest music I've ever bought, but I'm not sure I actually like them very much. (example)

U

User169

Almost anything by Diamanda Galas would qualify as bizarre. Whilst her treatment of the subject matter isn't as original or as interesting as she appears to think it is, as a personal expression of sound what she does is pretty impressive:

The Litanies of Satan

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
 Given the kind of mainstream pop/rock music I was listening to in 1970 when I first heard Terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air, I definitely had a feeling of WTF! Here it is split into two parts on YouTube (sorry, video embedding is disallowed):

Part 1

Part 2

U

User169

""Words are too compelling....The subtle emotional palate is what I'm most interested in...the voice is a very powerful connection to feeling, even on a physical level - it comes from your gut, it comes straight up through your body, and it goes out your mouth."

Dolmen Music by Meredith Monk

Top Bottom