Friday Night is Bizarre Music Night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You know, when one delves into the murky realm of avant-garde Classical, there's no dearth of extraordinary assemblages of sounds (?) masquerading as 'music'. If we want something that actually exercises your speakers, rather than the 4'33 which doesn't (the FFJ clip was meant to be a joke BTW) - try this on your jaded ears....

Most of you will click STOP within the minute. Please, if you can, let it run into at least the first six minutes. Some of you will make no sense of it at all, and I'm not being deliberately patronizing (though it must sound as if)...

Why this piece in particular? A snip of my personal history. It was premiered on BBC R3 back in the 1970s, I begged the indulgence of, and duly embarrassed, the gathering I was with on that occasion. I asked to turn on the radio. I was still trying to absorb it when the pained and glazed expressions of the others caught my eye drove home. I took the hint and turned it off... :blush:

I've heard it through since then.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
You know, when one delves into the murky realm of avant-garde Classical, there's no dearth of extraordinary assemblages of sounds (?) masquerading as 'music'. If we want something that actually exercises your speakers, rather than the 4'33 which doesn't (the FFJ clip was meant to be a joke BTW) - try this on your jaded ears....

Most of you will click STOP within the minute. Please, if you can, let it run into at least the first six minutes. Some of you will make no sense of it at all, and I'm not being deliberately patronizing (though it must sound as if)...

Why this piece in particular? A snip of my personal history. It was premiered on BBC R3 back in the 1970s, I begged the indulgence of, and duly embarrassed, the gathering I was with on that occasion. I asked to turn on the radio. I was still trying to absorb it when the pained and glazed expressions of the others caught my eye drove home. I took the hint and turned it off... :blush:

I've heard it through since then.

What happened there? Did the piano get dropped down the stairs?

The Perfect Nothing by Neznoe Etoe is an absolutely bizarre album by a Russian guy trying to recreate the futuristic electronic music which accompanied soviet technology promotion films of the early 70s, when synthesisers had just been invented.

You used to be able to buy it on Amazon from a company in the states called 'Russian DVD', which is sadly no longer around and if anyone finds it on you tube it will blow your mind!

Swedish bizarre!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4aUMxxhah0

Mikael B Tretow was also ABBA's producer.

Top Bottom