Friday Night is Music Night - Songs That Would Be Unacceptable Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
OK, some more Zappa and the Mothers; What Kind of Girl, Bwana Dik (the one I was specifically looking for, "My dick is a Harley, you kick it to start") and Latex Solar Beef. All of them slightly unsavoury, and a formative influence in my youth.

I've got mixed feelings about Zappa. He was a brilliant musician and did some very funny songs, but the relentless potty-mouth, clever clogs, schoolboy humour gets to grate after a while. Some say he was just knocking out the naughty stuff in order to fund his avant-garde works (which I found monumentally tedious).

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I've got mixed feelings about Zappa. He was a brilliant musician and did some very funny songs, but the relentless potty-mouth, clever clogs, schoolboy humour gets to grate after a while. Some say he was just knocking out the naughty stuff in order to fund his avant-garde works (which I found monumentally tedious).
#Metoo, to a degree, but in the spirit of the "Songs that would be unacceptable today" brief, je ne regrette rien.

Poacher

Times change and many songs whose lyrics didn't raise an eyebrow when they were released (Although they are still played) would be greeted with outcry if they came out now. This one would touch a few nerves post Savile -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIZofPB8ZM

I could be wrong (it happens with distressing and increasing frequency), but I suspect this was at least partially inspired by a Harvey Andrews song which I can't find on youtube - possibly "Soap Opera"? A teacher in a childless marriage loses his career, his marriage, his home, and a later labouring job as a result of touching a schoolgirl's knee. Maybe a song that would be acceptable today? (As a warning.)

Last edited:

Poacher

An offering from Funkadelic back in the 70's
No Head No Backstage Pass.

Sorry don't know how to do the YouTube malarky.
There you go.

God, that's creepy!

And that orange creature seems to possess unfeasibly large genitalia!

Young girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run girl
You're much too young girl
With all the charms of a woman
You've kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe you're old enough
To give me love
And now it hurts to know the truth
Young girl, get out of my mind
Better run girl
Beneath your perfume and your make-up
You're just a baby in disguise
And though you know that it's wrong to be
Alone with me
That come on look is in your eyes
Young girl, get out my mind
Better run girl
So hurry home to your mama
I'm sure she wonders where you are
Get out of here
Before I have the time
To change my mind
'Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far
Young girl, get out my mind
Better run girl
You're much too young girl (repeat to fade)

Strange I was only talking about this song Friday to work colleagues as an ex member of the union gap (not Gary though) is doing a charity concert in a working mens club near us (we were asked to put flyers on our counter)

Top Bottom