FNRttC Friday Night Ride Manchester-Morecambe 5th August.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cracking ride. I had the perfect bike for this one. Unfortunately, thanks to Virgin Trains' lack of bike spaces on conveniently timed & reasonably priced services, I had to leave it 250 miles from the start point, and riding up, let alone riding back as well, would have been a little silly even by my standards. If only I had a decent folding bike...I don't. I have a very decent folding bike! I won't deny that Chutney was not best suited to much of the route. Small wheels do not like potholes and surface imperfections, even when running 40mm tyres, so you have to be more attentive of them, and frisky handling is more like ever so scarily twitchy in the circumstances. The long cables rattle like mad, it'll never be as stiff as a fixed frame, and standing on pedals when riding anything with a long handlepost is A Very Bad Idea Indeed, hills are strictly sit and spin. Stretches where I'd have bombed along on the Litespeed (or the Viner, or the Trek!) were taken with much more caution on the little yellow stablemate. But, as ever, it did the job, and in terms of getting on a train without a bike reservation, and then doing the ride, it's in a class of its own. Very low bottom gear is handy for climbs, the usual reasonable turn of speed (when not being bounced around) and finding a suitable niche on the Pendolinos' ridiculously sized and shaped luggage racks wasn't a problem. Just checked for October 28 (as far ahead as one can book today), and I was getting 'no bike spaces available'!!!! In order to do the ride, one must first get to the ride, and with a bike....

Unlike last year's Adventures In Rail Delays, getting to Manchester was much more straightforward. Slow train into Waterloo (next fast one would have left timings a little tight to get across town), the usual agonising stopped-at-every-light crawl to Euston, and then half an hour or so before the train north. Into Piccadilly on time just before nine (the £26.50 ticket was much cheaper than later arrivals). With a bit of time to kill before Andrew turned up (I thought, at ten), I went for a bit of a spin, and ended up on the Hyde Road, which was being resurfaced (and for the first time, and definitely not the last time that night, the Litespeed would have been better). I gave up being rattled after two or three miles and backtracked. Where I ate my sandwich, and I waited, and waited....eventually joined by Kim, then Nasir, Charlie and Sonia. Our leader then joined us (he'd missed the post where I said I'd be getting in early and not reminded him) before we pootled round to the Town Hall and meeting up with the rest of our depleted peloton. We left early (?!!!). Good job too, considering what happened next...

I brought our early good progress through the Mancunian 'burbs to a grinding halt thanks to a malfunctioning cleat. Coming to a stop at a regroup, I couldn't get my right foot out (I eventually resorted to taking the shoe off and pulling it out by hand). I'd been out Friday morning in the same shoes, no problem. I'd ridden to and from the various stations that evening, no problem. Bolts were fine, cleat not seemingly damaged. Kim could clip in and out of the pedal with no bother. Cleaned off some assorted crud from around the cleat, same result as before, practically locked in. Wound the release tension down, same result. Cleat off completely, back on again, same result...in the end I had to take it off and leave it off. Annoying and it impaired the speed a bit, but rather less scary than the handlepost coming loose last year! New cleats have gone on today.

Half an hour later (!) we were on our way again, and good progress resumed. After the pause at Bury to remember the late Alan S, who I never had the pleasure of meeting, The Climbing began. Well, we'd already done a bit, Manchester isn't exactly flat, but now we hit the bit that requires capital letters. Somewhat easier when your handlebars aren't being held up by a safety catch, take it from me...Aforementioned bottom gear (something like 25") pressed into service frequently, but that's what it's there for. After the Blackburn McDonalds stop (unlike Gatwick the other week, tea available!), on we went, after the possibly-mandatory ride leader navigation error (been there, done that!). The Longridge Climb was the last really big one (as the elevation chart shows) though lots of smaller/steeper bits remained.

The RTA was a first, I think. We were all waiting at a junction (this one) when there was an assortment of loud crashes from behind. An old chap in a Fiat Panda who'd passed us coming the other way seconds before had gone into a dry stone wall firmly built into a bank and the car came off much worse, ending up overturned on the driver's side (a write-off, I'd have thought..certainly wouldn't have been towed away). A few of us helped him get out (in shock, a few scrapes but thankfully not much worse) while we waited for the ambulance to arrive.

The last stretch into Lancaster and then Morecambe was fortunately much less eventful. The off-road path from Glasson Dock was pleasant again (though I wished I had the Litespeed for that, again...) before we rode on to the photo op with Eric. That done, it was beer and breakfast o'clock, so we took the reverse course back into Lancaster. The return trip was pleasant enough (being in first class helped....) and I was back home just after half four.

It would be nice to get two bike spaces next year....can't say I'm hopeful. But this is a ride worth lugging a folder around for!

Splendid job Andrew, and thanks everyone else.

PS: It would be nice if Flaming Nora could join us. She'd make an excellent waymarker.

Last edited:

StuAff

@Andrew Br BTW, on an unrelated topic but while I thought of it. Your black frame bag (as seen on Flickr)- where from?

StuAff

The photos, both of them (managed not to photograph Eric, not sure what I did wrong..)
28214532734_08a32ee111_k.jpg

28831926205_95c5dfba1b_k.jpg

wanda2010

Guru
Not for the first time, I realise how tiny I am when seen in photographs ^_^.

Words on this ride:
Knocked Up - yes I sniggered every time it was said. It's competition to my sacred breakfast Guinness, but only for this ride.
Pitch black - riding in absolute darkness. Was too nervous to switch off my lights this time round, but next time............
Friends
Lovely
Absolutely marvellous
Happiness - there is something about night rides with like-minded people/friends that makes me grin most of the time
Bruv - Andrew Br reconfirmed
Colnago - a local at Manchester Piccadilly drooling over Charlie B's bike
Hills - not so painful this time round. Legs getting stronger?
Morecambe - Eric and the beach. That's it.
Alan - not forgotten
Stuntman - impressed with the car on it's side. Hope he's recovering nicely
19 - the number of steps up to the toilets

Andrew - well done.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
@Andrew Br BTW, on an unrelated topic but while I thought of it. Your black frame bag (as seen on Flickr)- where from?

I'm back in the world of home broadband so I'll write more about the ride at a later date.

I got the framebag from either Ebay or Amazon Stu, I can't remember which and a quick search hasn't found it.
I do know that it was less than £10 and it does the job very well.

StuAff

I'm back in the world of home broadband so I'll write more about the ride at a later date.

I got the framebag from either Ebay or Amazon Stu, I can't remember which and a quick search hasn't found it.
I do know that it was less than £10 and it does the job very well.
I've ordered a Deuter front triangle one from Wiggle, which should also do the job very well :smile:

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Apologies for the late reply; I blame a house move and subsequent lack of broadband.

I didn't have the best preparation for this ride but, despite that, I was fairly relaxed about it. The riders that I'd already met I knew to be competent, the forecast was benign and the time of year meant that we'd have a relatively short period of dark. What could possibly go wrong ?
As it happened, not much did. Two minor mechanicals, my traditional wrong slot after the McDonalds stop and an overturned car.
The car did give me a BIG fright. We'd stopped to re-group at a T junction and the car had turned to go along the route in the opposite direction. I heard the "Crump" from behind me and, when I looked round, I could see it on its side. My 1st thought was that the rest of the group were coming along that lane and, no, surely not ............... My sprint back down the road, all the time looking for evidence of a collision with a cyclist, would have almost got me an Olympic call up.
Thankfully, it was just the car involved; the group came along shortly afterwards and they made ready to slow any traffic coming from their direction while we tried to get the driver out of the car. Cheshire Celt did sterling work in that part of the operation and ChristineE (not OTP) and Kimble helped to calm the driver until the ambulance arrived. That was the only bad part of this ride, the rest of it was, truly, magical.

My evening got off to a good start when ChristineE(not OTP) arrived and we set off to Piccadilly at 22.15 to see if there were any arrivals. There were and, after hanging around for a little while, we set off for Albert Square. The rest of the group assembled soon afterwards and the 16 of us were able to set off about 10 minutes early.
We lost ~30 minutes with the 1st mechanical (a troublesome cleat; the eventual solution was to remove it and pedal without clipping in) but the group was moving so well that we made back most of the time before we arrived at the McDonalds.
There was the traditional stop in Bury to prepare for the hills and to leave flowers and remember AlanS/jogler before the drag through Tottington, the roller coasters to Edgworth and the long climb up past Pickup Bank to the Grane Road. According to the OS, we topped out at 334m/1096ft above sea level. Once you're that high, it leads to long descents and we enjoyed (or at least I did) the drop to Shadsworth and on to Whitebirk and McDonalds.
A slightly curtailed stop got us back on schedule, "detour" notwithstanding, and we left Blackburn behind. The 2nd memorable descent of this ride is down to Ribchester and it's fantastic. It was made more memorable this time because there was a lot of mist as we dropped towards the River Ribble.
The group managed the climb to Longridge in fine style and not much time and then we mostly rode together in the swooping lanes towards Lancaster. This, for me, was the best part of the ride.
After the "car incident", we used the coastal path into Lancaster (it was lovely) and we managed to arrive in Morecambe on a glorious sunny morning with stunning views across the Bay towards the Lake District.
After a quick ride back to Lancaster there was breakfast, breakfast beer (stouts of various origins; thanks for pointing me in this particular direction wanda2010) and time to catch up with friends both local and distant.

Some thanks:
  • to mcshroom and AndrewC for TECing
  • the Waymarkers (various)
  • the group for being fabulous company and for making this a very easy ride to lead
  • for the very kind comments here and on yACF about the ride
I'm already thinking about next year's ride.
The various options that I'm considering are:-
  • same again
  • ride to Blackpool
  • go through Preswich Forest Park ( off-road, kind of Strada Bianchi with bike gates) to Morecambe or Blackpool
  • start in Chester and head to Conway or Llandudno
We'll see.

What matters most is that it appears that everyone enjoyed this year's ride. I certainly did and I thank you all for making it such a lovely evening.

Top Bottom