Friday Night Ride to....Paris-Brest-Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Some familiar faces on FNRTTC are taking part in the 1,200k Paris-Best-Paris ride starting tonight about 6pm (some start later and some start tomorrow). This is an epic challenge across northern France. Last time, in 2007, weather was terrible and about a third didn't finish. Completing this event is for many, the achievement of a lifetime. For me, even qualifying was too much!
You can track the progress of riders at this link:

http://www.paris-bre...ueil&page=edito

you need to insert the frame number of the rider you are tracking:
some frame numbers of FNRTTC people are here:

Frank9755 is 5649
Polepole is 5564
Hummers is 1889
Swarmcatcher is 5741 (She is also tweeting as Swarmcatcher so you follow her on Twitter).

If anyone knows the frame number of a familiar face, perhaps they could post it below and we could then follow them. Remember they start from 6pm onwards in batches of 500 at a time (there are 5,000 riders in all) and the first control is 140k from Paris so they might not start showing up on the electronic tracking system until early tomorrow morning. They get 90 hours to do the 1,200k. During those four days the lucky ones will get 8 hours sleep and the fastest will not sleep at all. Hummers' frame number suggests he has gone for the 80 hour slot. He will start tomorrow morning about 10am I think. He is, in the words of Stanley Unwin, a "fast rider gnarly-most"
ohmy.gif
Of course, on any future FNRTTC, the use of the phrase: "Of course, when I was doing PBP...." will result in an instant slap the the face. We mere mortals mustn't let these Gods Of The Cycling World flaunt their superhuman powers.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Els at Villaine-la-Juhel (221km) after 11 hours 33

Louise L is at Villaine-la-Juhel after 10 hours 57

Frank at Villaine-la-Juhel after 8 hours 45

Rimas (frame no. 1885) at Villaine-la-Juhel after 7 hours 45 minutes, Fougeres at 10 hours 58, Tinteniac at 13 hours 12. He seems to be moving at 27 kph.

PpPete

Legendary Member
OMG - following people you know is utterly enthralling. Have even had to get a twitter account (something I thought I'd never do) and get Tweetdeck so I can follow how people are feeling as well just their times on the official site.
#pbpyacf seems to be the hashtag of choice.... hell - I had to learn what a hashtag was too !

StuartG

slower but further
Frank & Rimas do appear to have slowed quite dramatically. I wonder if this is terrain, weather or pacing. Els seems to have started slow - has she tweeted a problem or is she playing the tortoise gambit?

BTW Louise only came back to riding about 18 months ago. I remember passing her struggling up Ranmore Common. Now she leaves me standing. Won't get out of bed for less than 300km!

Amazing progress.

OMG - following people you know is utterly enthralling. Have even had to get a twitter account (something I thought I'd never do) and get Tweetdeck so I can follow how people are feeling as well just their times on the official site.
#pbpyacf seems to be the hashtag of choice.... hell - I had to learn what a hashtag was too !

Are any of the CCers tweeting?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the tracking site is clearly overloaded - I'm not getting a result

Actually, Stuart, she has missed that one out it seems! :ohmy: Tinteniac or whatever it is has shown on her 'count' (which is after Fougeres...)

Article 12 : Rider Tracking

A brevet card and a magnetic chip will be distributed to each rider before the start. The rider must keep both in good condition. We recommend attaching a recent passport picture to the brevet card (35x25 mm).
Riders must always carry their brevet card and their magnetic chip and must personally ensure that their card is validated at each control, whether official or secret.
Loss of the brevet card or the chip, missing or incomplete validation, whether from an official or a secret control, will result in disqualification.

Article 13 : Sign-in

Each participant must go to the bike check with your printed entry confirmation at the time which has been assigned by the ACP according to your request:
- Saturday, Aug 20 from 08h00 a.m. to 07:00 p.m. for riders starting on Sunday, Aug 21.
- Sunday, Aug 21 from 08:00 to 11:30 a.m. for riders starting on Monday, Aug 22.
Once your bike has been checked, go to the gymnasium. Show your picture ID and you will receive your road book, your tracking chip, your frame number and other items. Then sign the start sheet.
Start control:
Start control will take place at the Gymnase des Droits de l’Homme, from one to two hours before each official start. Beware: Missing brevet card validation or a missing chip recording at the start will result in disqualification.
Start: As required by the police headquarters, riders will start in waves. For safety reasons, cars and motorcycles will lead the riders through Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines (15 km). It is forbidden to overtake them (offenders will be attributed a penalty).

Article 14 : Opening and Closing Time of the Controls

The opening and closing times indicated in the brevet card must be respected scrupulously.
Note : For riders starting from 04:00 p.m. to 05:30 p.m., all opening times are free. Riders must arrive at each control within the time limits. Only a serious material incident may be accepted as justification for late arrival, and the delay must be recovered within the next two controls at the latest .

Article 15 : Homologation, DNFs and Failure to Comply with the Time Limits

Whatever the time of arrival, a brevet ridden in less than 43h56 will not be homologated (this corresponds to an average speed of 28km/h).
All participants who have ridden in compliance with the rules earn a medal engraved with their official time, time penalties included. The medal has been designed specifically for the 17th P.B.P.
Riders who abandon must return their brevet card to a controller or another member of the organization, sign it and annotate it with "DNF" or "Abandon". The abandoning rider has to remove the frame number and the tracking chip, but can keep both items.
The various documents will be returned to the rider, together with the results brochure of the 17th P.B.P., around January 2012.

Hopefully the tracking thing is for us 'spectators' and Fougeres is 'signed off' with the official stamp of control. :unsure:

Top Bottom