Friday Night Ride to....Paris-Brest-Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi all!! first i would like to thank you for a txt message after i've finished - this has put a smile on my tired face. a day later when i saw this thread i was surprised to see you were so into it! and also, i'm not used to so much attention - how should i respond?:biggrin: i could certainly feel good vibes coming my way while on the ride - thank you all for support (and i think you've got too much time on your hands - go and ride your bikes instead!). ride report will have to be compiled once it all sinks in. for now - a photo from the start/finish, taken just few hours ago, after closing ceremony and a proper nosh-up. from the left: Tom Deakins who was my mentor during the hardest parts of lel'09, Frank, and myself.

IMG_0015r.jpg

Hello,

I'd just like to say how touched and humbled I feel that so many have been following my lunacy so closely, caring whether I finished or not. Martin Brice and others texted/emailed during the ride and these were a real source of encouragement when the going got tough as it did in the last 140k from Mortagne when I became very unwell indeed and would have packed had I been anywhere near civilisation. That I was able to complete the ride was due in large part to the kindness and support of other riders. I'll do a short ride report a bit later as I've got domestic duties like Tesco's to attend to first- back to reality "sigh". I just wanted to say thanks for all your support. Getting home and reading this thread has been amazing!

I've put an account of my ride here in Riders' Tales.

It's rather long, but it's hard to know what to miss out!

Frank

Great stuff you three - and all the others mentioned through our slog of frame numbers...it's tiring you know, especially when location name checks don't show up and we started wondering if you had gone astray, of blanked a control point. All's weel that ends well, and at least I learned how to do the TwitTweet business, which probably weighed Els down :rolleyes: (I think she is celebrating with family in Belgium this weekend - quite right too!)

I am now going to read Frank's report and hope it will be tales full of joy and not Frank incensed... :smile:

Tremendous reportage, Frank - and confirms all the imaginations I was having about 'just do a little bit more...' etc and also wondering if you earlier finishers would be there for Els... Just perfect.

It was the pain aux raisins wot did it! :smile:

(You'l be able to draught (or hide behind) the youngsters like Stu in 2015 - he'll be toting the Mother of all rucksacks! :rofl: )

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Tremendous reportage, Frank - and confirms all the imaginations I was having about 'just do a little bit more...' etc and also wondering if you earlier finishers would be there for Els... Just perfect.

It was the pain aux raisins wot did it! :smile:

(You'l be able to draught (or hide behind) the youngsters like Stu in 2015 - he'll be toting the Mother of all rucksacks! :rofl: )

Youngster? I'll be 43 then!!!
And it would be the mother of all seatpost mounted bags :smile:

frank9755

Cyclist
They don't have many cats' eyes in France, but they do have a varied range of traffic calming features, some of which can be quite hazardous. These include well disguised traffic islands, raised sections of the central white line, bits of pavé set into the road, ramps and many different types of bollard.

While queuing at the start, I was chatting to an English rider who had ridden down, and he showed me his grazes from coming off on a piece of traffic calming. He is in good company as they claim the odd rider in the Tour.

But don't let that put you off, Stu. At 43, you will be younger than both me and (hard to believe as this may be) Els are now, and well below the average age!

StuAff

I think what bothers me most about PBP, LEL, and 'just' 400s, 600s etc is the sleep deprivation. The need to balance making the cut with getting enough sleep, or at least rest, enough food...in a sense going fast and going slow enough..and judging by what I've read it's not that easy even for the experienced.

Nope, I think I'll leave that kind of event to others...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think what bothers me most about PBP, LEL, and 'just' 400s, 600s etc is the sleep deprivation. The need to balance making the cut with getting enough sleep, or at least rest, enough food...in a sense going fast and going slow enough..and judging by what I've read it's not that easy even for the experienced.

That's a good call Stu. And you're a big man for admitting the fact. I myself would love to attempt LEL, but in my heart I do know that is really beyond my cycling capabilities.

I've put an account of my ride here in Riders' Tales.

It's rather long, but it's hard to know what to miss out!

Frank

Frank - that was just fabulous. What an incredible ride it was - and what a read. I had just about recovered from my exhaustion keeping tracks on your PBP participation and now I am knackered all over again!!

Paris-Brest-Paris in 69 hours and two minutes - absolutely outstanding result. Please remind me to make sure I stay behind you on a Sunday London Ride!!

Awesome, absolutely awesome. :bravo: :cheers: :bravo:

M :bicycle:

StuAff

That's a good call Stu. And you're a big man for admitting the fact. I myself would love to attempt LEL, but in my heart I do know that is really beyond my cycling capabilities.

Yup, I think just a few hours extra in each case would make it much easier. Doing 1200km in four days? Fairly straightforward. Throw in a time limit...makes a hell of a difference.

U

User482

I agree. Whilst physically, I could complete the distance, the mental fortitude needed to keep going continuously is beyond me, I suspect.

zigzag

Veteran
I agree. Whilst physically, I could complete the distance, the mental fortitude needed to keep going continuously is beyond me, I suspect.

it depends how you set your mind to it. you must aim for a finish as that's the only thing what matters most (once you start). what happens in between is quite irrelevant - pains, distractions, inclement weather etc. you just spend as much time pedalling as you can and minimize stopped time. some people make it seem harder than it really is.

Top Bottom